F150 Battery Drain - Sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 06:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dodge?

And what part of F150 makes you think it was a dodge? Ok so i mistyped the 4.6 ltr and said 4.7. Your reply is not any help to us with this problem. !!

Old 02-02-2015, 11:09 AM
glc
Received 758 Likes on 702 Posts
You would get a lot better help starting a new thread in the 04-08 truck section or this one rather than reopening a thread that's been dead for 5 years.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:12 AM
Parasitic battery drain

I have read several of the replies to this thread but cannot find my answer to this problem. So, if someone knows where I can find the answer, please point me in the right direction.

My problem is a 1.87 amp draw on a 2005 F150 Lariat. The battery is good but this level of drain is too high. As near as I can determine this draw should be less than 50 mA (milliamps). Another online mechanic indicated 100 mA or less is acceptable. But the vehicles were not Ford F150.

Does anyone know what the acceptable mA should be on the F150? I have no aftermarket accessories, except a brake controller for the trailer brakes. I have disconnected it from the harness but the amp draw is still 1.87 so I know this is not the problem.

My next step is to start looking at each individual circuit to determine where the culprit is. This is a tedious process and could expose multiple circuits that are part of the problem. Hopefully I will live long enough to find the culprit.

One other question. I want to remove the fuse to the circuit that turns on the dome/entry lights. This is not explicitly marked in the fuse circuit diagram that I have. The only fuse I think that may serve this is #21 - Cluster keep alive power. This is the circuit that turns on the odometer reading when you open the driver's door. Could it be this circuit that also turns on the dome light?

Update - I removed fuse 21 - illumination and cluster power. The drain drops to .02A or 20mA. I then put the fuse back and removed R02 - Accessory Delay Relay. The drain goes back to 1.75 A. So now I am really confused. I was hoping the Relay would be bad as that is an easy fix, plus some $$$ to replace. Nothing is easy when it comes to electrical work. If anyone has seen this exact problem (or a problem with this particular circuit) please give me some pointers.

Last edited by RetiredRider; 02-04-2015 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Update
Old 02-03-2015, 09:20 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by RetiredRider
I have read several of the replies to this thread but cannot find my answer to this problem. So, if someone knows where I can find the answer, please point me in the right direction.

My problem is a 1.87 amp draw on a 2005 F150 Lariat. The battery is good but this level of drain is too high. As near as I can determine this draw should be less than 50 mA (milliamps). Another online mechanic indicated 100 mA or less is acceptable. But the vehicles were not Ford F150.

Does anyone know what the acceptable mA should be on the F150? I have no aftermarket accessories, except a brake controller for the trailer brakes. I have disconnected it from the harness but the amp draw is still 1.87 so I know this is not the problem.

My next step is to start looking at each individual circuit to determine where the culprit is. This is a tedious process and could expose multiple circuits that are part of the problem. Hopefully I will live long enough to find the culprit.

One other question. I want to remove the fuse to the circuit that turns on the dome/entry lights. This is not explicitly marked in the fuse circuit diagram that I have. The only fuse I think that may serve this is #21 - Cluster keep alive power. This is the circuit that turns on the odometer reading when you open the driver's door. Could it be this circuit that also turns on the dome light?

Yes - ~50ma is an acceptable parasitic drain on this truck ( NOT including any aftermarket additions ).

Yes - it is a tedious - but necessary - process to track down excessive drain. Troubleshooting 101 - make only one change at a time & assess ( and LOG) the results. And yes - Being retired my self, I can appreciate the impact on precious time this incurs,

Why do you want to disable the dome / entry lamps? I'd remove those bulbs rather than pull the cluster KAP fuse, due to potential inintended consequences.

G'luck, fellow ol' timer!

MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 02-03-2015 at 09:24 AM.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:28 AM
Hi MGD,

Thanks for the reply. I want to remove that fuse (21) as I will have the passenger door open to get to the fuse panel. That way I can eliminate one circuit and make it easier to get to the fuses plus not have a huge spike to my VOM. I don't think that removing that fuse will cause any problems.

I am hoping this will be straightforward to detect. I have read where the entire fuse panel must be replaced. There is a sensor on the shifter that tells the ECM that the truck is in park and the engine is off, so shut down everything. If that sensor isn't working, the ECM still thinks the engine is on so it does not shut off the systems. That could be an expensive fix also.

And finally I may just give up and let my local shop take a shot at it if I can't find anything. I have patience, but it is limited!

Old 02-10-2015, 08:56 AM
I typed a message where did it go?

Old 02-10-2015, 09:09 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by illinois
I typed a message where did it go?

Reckon it be hyur:

Ol' Bubber

Old 02-08-2017, 11:06 AM
my problem fixed

After 6 weeks of trying almost every possible electrical fix, the mechanic found the wires to the backup camera were shorting out due to water infiltration. I don't have a backup camera on my 2012 f 150 but the wiring is there for it. Truck is no longer dead every morning.
Maybe this will help someone else.

Last edited by trlbasser; 02-08-2017 at 11:08 AM.
Old 04-07-2017, 12:32 PM
Did you ever find out what your problem is with your truck? I've got 2005 F150 Lariat Supercrew and intermittently draws battery down. Been doing this for some time now. New gel type six pack battery and brand new alt. and still same. Haven't got it narrowed down yet. been trying and trying to catch it when it is drawing down to find out but no avail as of yet. Sure appreciate any info. if you have any.

Frankenford

Old 06-23-2017, 07:24 PM
I have also been experiencing battery drain. When I check the amp/current draw it 0.0. After waiting for some time the draw goes to 13+ amp for about 1/2 second then settles to 3+ amp draw. The meter leads were getting hot so I disconnected. I was told that PCM-BCM etc modules will power up and go back to sleep. Anyone know what the cycle times between power ups are? Any suggestions on how to track down a module problem? I believe that there is a short somewhere but this driving me nuts.

Quick Reply: F150 Battery Drain - Sometimes