Electrical nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 07:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electrical nightmare

I have a 2003 SuperCrew F150. The heater motor, ABS light, low range light, oil light, service engine light, and odometer stays on once the keys are out of the ignition. It seems to do this more after a steady rain.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:35 PM
I have found part of the main wring harness pinched under the power distribution box. This has left eposed wires showing. Does anyone know who would be liable to fix this since my warrenty is up?

Old 09-09-2008, 07:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you answered the question yourself. after it rains. you have the infamous leaking winshield and it leaks onto the GEM. GEM is located behind the passenger fusebox. look for moisture in and around that area.

try searching for "GEM*" "leaking" "windshield" to get a more indepth response.

Old 09-14-2008, 03:38 AM
Originally Posted by rt43764
I have a 2003 SuperCrew F150. The heater motor, ABS light, low range light, oil light, service engine light, and odometer stays on once the keys are out of the ignition. It seems to do this more after a steady rain.
Yep. It's a GEM/Leaking Windshield issue. I had the same thing with my 2000 F150 and recently got it fixed. I'm lucky the only thing it cost me (besides the replacement of the windshield) was the loss of function to my map lights/glove box lights/underhood lights...due to a hot wire splice burn out. Once I find the splice..I can repair/recover those functions....just been too lazy to crawl up inside the dash and fix it.

Does your truck smell like a wet dog after the rain too? Bet your floorboard on the driver side is actually damp too....

Oh forgot to mention...your blower motor may stay on too...that'll drain the battery overnight....without the key in it!!!

Old 09-21-2008, 11:49 AM
Where is the GEM located?

I have the dash panels off, and can not find the GEM module. Some sites say that it is behind the fuse block and others state that it is behind the radio. I have no clue on what it even looks like. Can anyone help? I am a single dad with a four year old son. I have become afraid to drive the truck with my son in it.

Old 09-22-2008, 01:18 PM
The GEM module on a 2003 F150 should be located directly behind the fusebox,have a look under the dash at back of fush box and you will see 2 big square connectors goin into the back of fusebox, located just above that will be the GEM module, there should be 2 or 3 smaller connectors goin into the side of the module close to the top,Drivers door side!fusebox can be removed and moved around by removing the 2 nuts and 2 bolts from the front off fuse box!

Quick Reply: Electrical nightmare