3rd Break Light works but rears dont

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 07:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3rd Brake Light works but rears dont

Lost both my rear brake lights, the turn signals and reverse all work fine. The 3rd brake works fine, and the brake switch is good. It's not the fuse either. Could I have a ground or a short? I checked all the connectors as far as I could trace the wire and nothing was loose.

Are the rear brake lists off the same + as the rear?

Last edited by JesterNT; 07-18-2008 at 08:36 PM.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:31 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
MFS time.

Inspect the connectors for pulled or overheated wires. If none are found, replace the assy.

Steve

Old 07-22-2008, 08:51 AM
I've had a very similar problem. I've replaced the brake light switch twice (last time by the dealer) and still have intermittent brake lights. If I reach under and press the brake light switch forward, my brake lights activate, and may work for a day. Then they start the same intermittent problem. The dealer couldn't make them "not" work, so didn't know what to do.

Hope someone can help!

Old 07-23-2008, 10:17 AM
It was the the hazard switch

Wound up tracing the wire from the tail light through the entire cab until I go to the Hazard Light switch. Apparently it was stuck somewhere between off and on. This was creating the short that plagued me. I cycled the switch on/off a few times and my rear lights started working fine! I was happy to get it fixed but mad that it took almost 4 hours of troubleshooting.

Old 07-25-2008, 07:05 PM
Third works, other two don't

I'm having the same problem. I changed out the switch and checked all fuses. I can't even get the bottom two to flash when I hit the brake pedal or move the switch forward. What should I do?

Daniel

Quick Reply: 3rd Break Light works but rears dont