keyless entry keypad

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 01:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
keyless entry keypad

question 1: I have a small dilemma and was wondering if anyone could help me out... I have a 2001 f150 supercrew, i have power locks, but no keypad... I was wondering if there is anyway that i could install the oem keypad from another truck, and make it work?

question 2: i have searched and searched but i cannot find a new keypad that is built into the hand like the oem ones are... i have seen the others that mount over or under the door, i i do a lot of 4 wheeling and i am afraid i might rip it off.... does anyone know where to find the oem style handle?

Old 07-18-2008, 03:12 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rlukemoore
question 1: I have a small dilemma and was wondering if anyone could help me out... I have a 2001 f150 supercrew, i have power locks, but no keypad... I was wondering if there is anyway that i could install the oem keypad from another truck, and make it work?

question 2: i have searched and searched but i cannot find a new keypad that is built into the hand like the oem ones are... i have seen the others that mount over or under the door, i i do a lot of 4 wheeling and i am afraid i might rip it off.... does anyone know where to find the oem style handle?
Pull your door panel and make sure you have the wiring loom with the plug to plug the keypad into 1st. No wiring loom or plug - don't go any farther. If you have that, I still wouldn't buy a handle/w/ keypad just yet. I assume you have remote keyless entry. You still will have to determine that the plug has power from the Security Control Module. If not, you will have to have a Ford dealer use their computer to "Wake the SCM up" to recognize the keypad input. And you will need the code (should be on the side of the SCM, probably up under the dash to the left of the steering wheel). The keypad itself is a slave- you could use a used one even- it doesn't hold any information, just passes the code for the numbers you punch on to the SCM. You have a little work cut out for yourself. Good luck.

P.S. You can probably get it from an online Ford source that sells orig.eq. parts discounted. Google is your friend.

Last edited by code58; 07-18-2008 at 03:15 AM.
Old 07-19-2008, 05:10 PM
Talking thank you

thanks a lot code58 i really appreciate the information.... helped out a lot

Old 07-20-2008, 12:52 AM
rlukemoore:

I will be VERY interested in the outcome. I have a 2001 F150 supercab with keyless remote and no keyless entry. I have often considered adding the keypad and trying to make it work. I think matching the paint will be about the biggest pain. Keep posting your progress!!

Last edited by Fordnatic; 07-20-2008 at 12:57 AM.
Old 07-20-2008, 12:01 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
+2. I'll be watching this too.

Old 07-20-2008, 07:47 PM
pictures to come

i ordered my parts as soon as i start i will be posting pictures

Old 07-20-2008, 11:12 PM
If you have the connector, you can still have power but no SCM recognition.

There have been several threads on this.

The jist of it is order the handle with the keypad, I paid around $55 for mine a few years back.

Somewhere in your owners manual pack there should have been a credit card with your access code on it.

Plug the keypad in and try using it, if I remember right you can lock it even without a code with a button combination.

If it works you're home free, if not go to a dealership you haven't used before for an oil change or something and complain the keypad quit working. They'll hook the computer up and turn it on.

Trending Topics

Old 07-21-2008, 03:46 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by vigness
If you have the connector, you can still have power but no SCM recognition.

There have been several threads on this.

The jist of it is order the handle with the keypad, I paid around $55 for mine a few years back.

Somewhere in your owners manual pack there should have been a credit card with your access code on it.

Plug the keypad in and try using it, if I remember right you can lock it even without a code with a button combination.

If it works you're home free, if not go to a dealership you haven't used before for an oil change or something and complain the keypad quit working. They'll hook the computer up and turn it on.
vigness- Have you ever actually seen any that had power but were not turned to recognize the keypad? Just curious. My understanding (from a very knowledgeable mechanic) is : no power= no recognition, power= recognition. At least on the '04-up. Also, they use your VIN. for identification. As soon as they (any Ford dealer) punches the Vin. in it's going to tell him the the truck wasn't built with a keypad because it's one of the questions the computer asks (and self answers) in the course of turning it on to recognize the keypad. Unless you have one very friendly service manager and service tech., your not going to slip that past them. They ask me when I ask about getting it turned on on my '04 and when I said no, it wasn't built with it they wanted $100. to turn it on. Their computer is going to tell them from the Vin. anyway.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:03 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by vigness
If you have the connector, you can still have power but no SCM recognition....<snip>....
This is true for the 2004 + MY trucks, where the BSM/VSM is not programmed for the keypad.

On the 2 above that I read, these are 2001 MY trucks, and a direct plug in.

The part numbers :
Handle ( for YN silver truck ) and keypad :

The letters on the handle part number change for the color code.

The wiring that should be in the door has a plug in it :

This is wired to the RAP / CSM ( depending on build date ).

If this is not here, you can add the wiring, it is just a bit harder to do, and usually the wiring missing is on XL and some 2000 MY build trucks
It should be safe if you have the RKE, that the wirign is in the truck for the keypad. My 2001 SCrew was a XLT trim level, with RKE and power locks, and it was in the door.

Several pictures of doing this on a SCrew in my Interior Pics album. The SCrew is slightly different the the SCab / std cab trucks, those are easier to get at the door handle.

BTW to get the factor code for a keypad install on a -2003 MY truck, it is printed on the RAP / CSM up under the dash

That is the parking brake ratchet in the lower left hand side of the picture. you are looking for an off white box with a stick on it, with 5 digits up behind the fuse box.

Note the parking brake ratchet in the lower left hand corner again.

Good luck, let us know if you have any other questions.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:32 AM
Thanks alot sscully, i really appreciate that, it will make this whole prcess a lot easier knowing the part number.... i can send back the cheesy little after market one that i bought now....

Old 07-23-2008, 02:05 PM

Thanks a lot sscully, i really appreciate that, it will make this whole process a lot easier knowing the part number.... i can send back the cheesy little after market one that i bought now....
Check out my album for more pictures on the SueprCrew install. It is a bit different then the Std /SCab installs with the different doors on the truck.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:47 PM
one more question, do i need the actuator if i already have power locks?

Old 07-24-2008, 08:43 AM

one more question, do i need the actuator if i already have power locks?
You are not going to believe this, that part number is the keypad itself

Here is the Handle from the box, against the one of my 2001 SCrew

The box with the "actuator" is installed in the opening.

After 100 years of making cars, you have a tendency to run out of names to call things, and lord forbid if you call it a keypad, so it makes sense.

Just use the part numbers on the box, and be CAREFUL with the door handle that is for a silver truck ( think the last letters change for the color of the truck ).

Old 08-15-2008, 10:18 PM
Yes we have had people that have had power but no active keypad. You're talking about power to light the keypad vs. the keypad talking to the box. Same as the lights in your armrest for the window controllers vs the windows going up and down.

I lucked out and was able to plug mine in without having to go to the dealership. There was even a few reports of a problems with the setups reverting if the dealer did some add ons at the shop that didn't come from the factory turning off their keypad.

Old 10-04-2009, 11:01 PM
i have A 09 f150 that i installed new handles and keypad on , my truck came with the card in glove box that had keyless entry code but my key pad doesnt lite up nor does it work.... the dealer wont help????? what do i do

Quick Reply: keyless entry keypad