Power Window

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 04:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Power Window

Hello all, 1997 F-150 SuperCab, problems with the passenger side window. Will not lower from either the drivers or passenger side switch, pulled door panel off and checked voltage to the motor, looks like I'm getting 12vdc to the motor. I'm thinking at this point that the motor is bad. Likely? I am having a hard time finding a procedure to remove and replace the window motor, does anyone have an idea where I might find one for a 97 f-150? Is this procedure do-able for the garden variety shade tree mechanic? I certainly worry about the window gears and linkage coming apart. Any thought out there??? Thanks!

Old 06-30-2008, 05:14 PM
how did you test the motor? i think there's a certain way to check it to ensure that the problem lies within the motor itself.

Old 06-30-2008, 06:55 PM
Motor test

Hi, thanks for the reply! I checked voltage going to the motor. I probably made an assumption that if voltage was getting to the motor it should work. I broke the connection to the motor and read 12vdc coming form the switch when it was actuated. I had hoped that it would be a loose or bad connection but everything looks good. The passenger side window started working intermittently for awhile then stopped completely. I have the Haynes manual which doesn't give a lot of information past checking the switches.

Old 06-30-2008, 07:58 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have been dealing with this problem also. Seems there is some sort of binding going on. For my truck, I removed the door panel, then the door speaker. Then I smacked the motor with a hammer thru the speaker hole while the switch is depressed and it works again. I had to do this a four times, as each smack lasted only for a day. I was just about to replace the motor when I decided to give it one more smack. Now it has worked for 4 days now

FYI to remove the motor, you need to drill out the dimples in the door to expose the motor mounting bolts. Then the motor comes out the speaker hole. Do a search, this procedure was described with photos.

Old 07-02-2008, 03:24 PM
Passenger window

Thanks for the reply, I will try smacking the motor though it doesn't sound like a permanent fix. Seems something else is going on. I did find photos that showed the motor coming out, though it was a newer model which is totally different then a 97. Priced a motor today at 125.00 at the dealer, damn dealership wanted 95.00 plus tax to tell me what the problem was, even with all the interference removed. Getting somewhat dissatisfied with Ford these days after owning Fords for the last thirty years.

Old 07-02-2008, 05:59 PM
Power Window

Success, found some info on this forum with pictures to remove the motor, did so, drilling out the two dimples with a 1/2 " bit and removed the motor. Hooked it up after giving it a smack and it worked fine. I got the feeling that the problem will return so a motor probably is in the future... until then seems to work fine at the moment. Thanks to the forum and all who contribute!

Old 07-04-2008, 04:05 PM
Can you point me to the info. on removing the motor. I have the exact same problem as you. Motor works for a while after smacking it.

Trending Topics

Old 07-04-2008, 05:43 PM
Did the binding in the passenger side window slowly develop? My 98 seems to be binding now, up & down. I'm suspecting binding in the regulator linkage, haven't taken the panel off or seen diagrams of whats behind there. When you messed with the motor, did you grease the linkage too?

Old 07-06-2008, 06:16 PM
pwr window

The problem developed over time, seems that the window would work intermittently for a time then one day it stopped working altogether. I did a search on this forum using the search feature to find the info, seemed to be a lot of history on this problem. I did not do anything with the linkage, still working fine.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:42 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine is still working fine after smacking it a few times. I did grease the regulator each time, being sure to get some into the teeth. Maybe that helped the binding a bit. Either way, I did'nt have to buy a lift motor yet, and hopefully I never will.

Quick Reply: Power Window