Cruise not working after recall installed.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 12:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise not working after recall installed.

98 F-150 149,000 miles. Cruise controlled was working great. Heard of recall and fire issue. So 4 months back I took my truck to my Ford dealer. They disconnected the cruise control. Yesterday I went back to the dealer and they installed a harness and reconnected the cruise control. I tested the cruise control on the Freeway. Cruise control does not work. I went back to the dealer and they want $125 to run diagnostics.

Any suggestions on how I can run my own diagnostics? I noted that the switch on the Master Cylinder looks dry.

Old 05-08-2008, 04:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Did they install the fused harness, or the replacement brake pressure switch? I would very politely insist that they test the system at their expense because it worked prior to the recall work being done. If they refuse, it's time for a call to the service manager and/or dealership's general manager and/or owner. In other words, start climbing the ladder.

-Joe

Old 05-08-2008, 04:36 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Really quick check:

Disconnect the vehicle harness from the recall add-on harness.

Using a paperclip, install it as a jumper in the VEHICLE side of the harness.

Go for a test drive.

If it now works, either the fuse inthe harness is open or the switch is bad.

restore the vehicle and recall harness connection.

repeat the above at the connector for the switch of the recall harness.

If it now works, the switch is open (bad). this is a common failure.

Steve

Old 05-08-2008, 04:44 PM
Cruise not working after recall installed

They installed a fuse harness only. The service writer put a meter on the master cylinder pressure switch. He had me start the truck and then press on the brake pedal. He said he thought I should have gotten voltage when the engine is on and it is interrupted by the brake or the reverse, he was not sure which it should be. But in either case there was no voltage through the pressure switch with the engine on and/or when the brake was pressed.

Old 05-08-2008, 11:22 PM
The correct test of the switch itself would be to check for continuity. The switch is supposed to be closed until the brake pedal is pressed with above average force.

Steve

Old 05-27-2008, 11:13 PM
At least you got the recall part for the fix. I keep getting the letters from Ford but every time I call the dealer I am told they don't have the part to do the repair. I can't believe that, in over a year, they don't have the parts.

I refuse to disconnect my existing Cruise module while I wait. I use it all the time and its rediculous to have to go without while I wait lord only knows how long for the parts.

But I agree with what was said above... if it worked before then they should fix it after at their expense.

Old 05-28-2008, 01:35 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by pw1981
..<snip>...I refuse to disconnect my existing Cruise module while I wait. I use it all the time and its rediculous to have to go without while I wait lord only knows how long for the parts. ..<snip>...
I got this from JMC, When you unplug the CC from the pressure switch, the connectors are about the same size as ATM ( ATC ) fuses. I broke a fuse, soldered a wire between the 2 fuse legs, and put this in the trucks harness where it was connected to the pressure switch.

This makes the secondary switch think the brakes are never pressed, and the CC works again as normal, less tonight's special being F-150 Flambé

JMC put up some pictures of this about 18 months ago ( give or take ).

Maybe try the search term cruise and limit to JMC's screen name, open on forums ?? ( that is a guess, have not tried it myself ).

Good luck with the search, might be worth a look for the sense of security

Steve

Trending Topics

Old 05-28-2008, 03:51 PM
Hah! My 94 ATX SHO has been running with a paperclip for two years now..... I'd been waiting for it to get recalled since that switch is a PITA to reach on that car.

Steve

Quick Reply: Cruise not working after recall installed.