Help with dim headlight!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 02:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with dim headlight!

hey guys I got a problem,got a 2002 supercrew lariat and my passenger side headlight is very dim on the hi and lo beams.The driver side is perfect.Also both my fog lights quit working but the bulbs are ok?If it helps when I turn the lights on at night I can see the Hi beam indicator on the cluster is light up a bit,not much though,also the same way with my fog light indicator.Any help would be greatly appreciated since I cant see squat when im drivin to work in the morning.

Old 04-04-2008, 06:45 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
im not sure of the wiring on the truck, but i would check the grounds. i would assuming the left and right headlights would be grounded to their corresponding side of the truck.
its possible that the passenger light and the fogs are grounded to the same spot thus resulting in a poor connection for both.

the reason for the cluster light being dim is because it is running off the same fuse as the high beams are. at least it is according to the manual on the ford website.

as for the fogs not working, i really dont know, it could be that the headlight is taking all the ground, (electricity does take the easier route.) start with the headlight, and get that working. then work on the fogs, though i have a feeling that if u get the headlight working the fogs will fix themselves.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok thanks alot!The only other thing though was that the fogs quit working like a month before the headlight started to go dim?

Old 04-04-2008, 11:16 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I would have to agree with 02SC4x4, look for a grounding problem on the passenger side. The dim high beam could be the head lamp trying to use that as the path to ground, to work, and it is not a large enough path for the 55 or 60W bulb. To test that theory, pull the passenger side bulb, and see if the high beam indicator is still glowing.

The other item that tells me to look at the ground is the low beam are separate circuits L & R, but the high beam is the same circuit for both. When checking the ground, look from the lug on the inner fender to the bulb connector. Best to use an Ohm meter, and check from the lug to the pin in the bulb socket, looking for closer to 0 Ohms.

Diagrams for the headlamps, EVTM 85
https://www.f150online.com/galleries...028-167986.jpg
https://www.f150online.com/galleries...028-167987.jpg

Fog lamps :
When you turn the main headlamp switch to the headlamp position, and pull out, does the fog lamp icon on the switch come on ?
- If not, check CJB ( Central Junction Box aka cab fuse panel ) Fuse #27, 5A.
- If so, check BJB ( Battery Junction Box aka under hood fuse panel )Fuse #9 15

Let us know what you have when checking these items, and the ones that 02SC4x4 suggested, and we can go from there.

Good luck

Quick Reply: Help with dim headlight!