Light out on gear selector, center shift lever

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 08:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Light out on gear selector, center shift lever

I've got an 04' lariat, it has the shift lever in the center and the light the shows Park, reverse, etc. has been out since I bought the truck brand new. I never knew it had one, I always wondered why it didn't and then the other night, it turned off/ on once, like a short or something. Anyone ever try and change out that bulb? How do I even start getting to it without tearing something up? I hate to take apart all that plactic?? Any help....

Old 03-15-2008, 07:37 PM
Same Q, how to and part/bulb number?

Old 03-16-2008, 07:19 AM
It's actually very easy. Just open your center console for extra pry room and stick your thumb in the console door latch hole and pointer finger in the cup holder and pull up the rear, then the front, removing the main cover. At this point, if you have small fingers you can slightly twist CCW the little plug visible at the rear of the chrome piece on the driver's side and pull toward the rear of the truck. If not, you'll have to gently unclip the chrome bezel on both sides and lift it up to get better access to the plug. I don't know the exact part number, but you can easily do this in the parking lot and bring the bulb in to compare. I think they were like $2 for a pair-they are the same kind of bulb that you'd find in the instrument cluster (at least in my 93 5.0 anyway-I replaced something like 10 of those bulbs). Trust me, it takes all of 5 minutes and you won't tear anything up-Good Luck!

Old 04-01-2008, 07:24 PM
Thanks Hawaii, you were right. Very easy, in fact I did it in the parking lot of Wal Mart, then ran inside and bought a pack of them. What's funny is that I went there to replace a bulb from my license plate lights, and they were both the same exact bulb, so the 2 in the package were perfect for what I needed to replace both of them. It's been YEARS since my gear selector lit up, but after seeing it again I know it DID work when I first bought the truck, 'cause I recall how sometimes the orange indicator wouldn't fully cover the letter/number and I'd jiggle the shifter to get it fully centered.

Thanks for replying , I wouldn't have tried it otherwise. Always afraid I'll break something or create a rattle somehow (enough in mine as it is).

Quick Reply: Light out on gear selector, center shift lever