resetting speedometer????

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 10:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
resetting speedometer????

i am new to the f150 online and stuff. i was wondering if anyone knows how to reset the speedometer. I took my dash apart to take a look at the light bulbs in the IP Cluster, and apartently I touched something i shouldn't have because now my speedometer sits all the way down at the Lariat label and while driving it is 10-15 mph off (slower). any ideas?

Old 01-29-2008, 08:03 AM
Originally Posted by ludachris18
i am new to the f150 online and stuff. i was wondering if anyone knows how to reset the speedometer. I took my dash apart to take a look at the light bulbs in the IP Cluster, and apartently I touched something i shouldn't have because now my speedometer sits all the way down at the Lariat label and while driving it is 10-15 mph off (slower). any ideas?
At this point I would call a local speedometer repair shop and see if they have any ideas - they will most likely also give you a free estimate and maybe even a diag.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:13 PM
thanks for the tip....i was actually trying to avoid having to use a mechanic...i just don't trust 'em and I hate paying for things I can do myself (hopefully)

Old 01-29-2008, 07:16 PM
You most likely will need to go to the dealer service department. The onboard management system has to know when the instrument cluster has been disconnected and needs to be reinstalled. I had a new FX4 instrument cluster installed in place of the stock one in my '04 STX and that what had to happen with it. I was switching to a cluster that had a tachometer so the management system had to be programmed. I'm sure the speedometer is dealt with the same way.

Old 01-30-2008, 01:56 PM
Originally Posted by STXDriver
You most likely will need to go to the dealer service department. The onboard management system has to know when the instrument cluster has been disconnected and needs to be reinstalled. I had a new FX4 instrument cluster installed in place of the stock one in my '04 STX and that what had to happen with it. I was switching to a cluster that had a tachometer so the management system had to be programmed. I'm sure the speedometer is dealt with the same way.
thanks STX Driver....
how much did they charge you at the service dept. to fix the problem?

Old 01-31-2008, 03:25 PM
DRJ
on your 06 to reset the gauges you can try holding the trip meter reset button while the ignition is off, then either turn to the on position, or start your truck while holding the trip meter in still, the display on your odometer will then read different menus, the 1st one being the meter sweep, it'll automatically sweep all your gauges for you. then if you tap the trip reset button it will jump to the next menu, theres alot of useful things within those menus... to get your display back to normal just turn the truck off, the next time it's on the display will be normal.

Old 01-31-2008, 04:19 PM
Originally Posted by DRJ
on your 06 to reset the gauges you can try holding the trip meter reset button while the ignition is off, then either turn to the on position, or start your truck while holding the trip meter in still, the display on your odometer will then read different menus, the 1st one being the meter sweep, it'll automatically sweep all your gauges for you. then if you tap the trip reset button it will jump to the next menu, theres alot of useful things within those menus... to get your display back to normal just turn the truck off, the next time it's on the display will be normal.
THAT is interesting to know!

Old 02-01-2008, 07:42 AM
thanks STX Driver....
how much did they charge you at the service dept. to fix the problem?
If your truck is still under warranty, they may fix it for nothing. It cost me approximately $35.00 for the installation of a new FX4 instrument cluster. In your case they may only have to connect their laptop to the service port in your truck.

Old 02-02-2008, 06:24 PM
Originally Posted by DRJ
DRJ...
i tried following your instructions and i never got a menu reading meter sweep or anything. i tried with the ig off, on, and starting it. every possible way and i never got a menu. the only thing I got other than the regular info was an option to do a system check, so I did that, but it went thru oil pressure, brake system, etc and said OK to each one.
any other ideas?

Old 02-02-2008, 06:56 PM
DRJ
that sucks.. there are a couple trims that have a diff. odo. display, so on those it must be different, those menu options with the brake and oil check are among the menu options that get opened with holding in the trip reset.. the "sweep gauges" was the 1st option on the couple of trucks I've tried it on though.. the odo display was the one with the green backlight and the lcd numbers ...

Quick Reply: resetting speedometer????