F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   Electrical Systems (https://www.f150online.com/forums/electrical-systems-67/)
-   -   PIAA 520 Driving Light Wiring Options (https://www.f150online.com/forums/electrical-systems/315808-piaa-520-driving-light-wiring-options.html)

jbholmes 01-09-2008 11:11 AM

PIAA 520 Driving Light Wiring Options

Purchased a set of PIAA 520's and looking at the two main wiring methods I can use, I am having trouble determing pros and cons. The first uses a relay to switch based on headlamps (any 12v switched load) and the second, shown below would allow the lights to be turned on even when truck is not running via the direct battery - switch - lights wiring. I am in construction and having the lights on sometimes without the truck running is helpful so I am leaning towards this technique.

Are there any other drawbacks from using this wiring schematic???

https://www.f150online.com/galleries...499-210652.jpg

fordsoldier 01-09-2008 11:31 AM

this is the wire diagram I used.

http://www.kchilites.com/store/faq/i...layDiagram.pdf

worked awesome. my switched power I tapped the parking light at the switch, that way I had the chime and at least the light switch had to be on.

2stroked 01-09-2008 11:37 AM

So your basic choices boil down to 1) allowing you to turn the driving lights on (by themselves) anytime, and 2) allowing you to turn the driving lights on any time the headlights are on. Pros and cons? It depends what you use your driving lights for. If you do choose option #1 above, you will want to look at which circuit you tap into for power. Remember, you have hot all the time and hot with ignition on. I kind of like Option #2 because your lights on warning chime will remind you if you left them on.

There's also another choice - that I used. I run the Hella driving lights on both of my vehicles wired without any switch. Yes, I still use the relay, but I trigger it off of the high beams instead of a switch. There's no need (or ability) to turn the driving lights on by themselves. Flip the high beams on and you automatically get the driving lights too. Since 99% of the time that's what I want, I opted to simplify the wiring.

2stroked 01-09-2008 11:39 AM

Oops, one other thing I just noticed. There's no relay shown in your wiring diagram. If you're running anything more than 55 watt bulbs (and even if you are), I'd highly recommend a relay in the circuit. it will lessen the load on your switch.

jbholmes 01-09-2008 12:43 PM

Yeah - GOOD POINT on the load! Think I will go with the relay version from KC. Does anyone know the color code on the low beam headlight switched 12v supply wire??? 2007 F150.

2stroked 01-09-2008 01:04 PM

Two words grasshopper: Test Light.

attworth 01-09-2008 01:58 PM

I like the ability to switch mine on and off regardless. So, to a switch works for me. I hope you have an optima or something if you plan to run them without the truck running.

I have a blue top that's about 2 years old. I left the radio on the other day for about 5 hours while working on other stuff and I barely got a crank out of it. I think it's time to replace it. Just be sure to keep an eye on it when you run 'em. Nothing like getting in your truck and all you hear is clicking.

fordsoldier 01-09-2008 02:04 PM

give me a few hours and I will look it up when i get home, out of the wire diagram I have.

fordsoldier 01-09-2008 04:52 PM

according to the wire diagram for hot when head lamps on is rd/ye.

this is located on the headlamp switch just pull your swith out and the red/yellow wire will be in the 12 pin connector on the head lamp switch.

if you decide to make it hot with the parking lights on it is the brown wire on the same 12 pin connector.

hope this helps.

jbholmes 01-10-2008 09:22 PM

Thanks for all the info - ran into a slight snag with hooking the lights up to the parking lights and/or headlamps... they flash when I remotely lock/unlock my truck. Ideas on another switched circuit I can use to accomplish the install? Perhaps the switched radio wire (only prob there is the fact that it stays on until you open the car door after turning off the engine). Thanks again!!

fordsoldier 01-10-2008 09:32 PM

let me know what you decide to do, I can tell you what wire to look for and where if you need it.

jbholmes 01-11-2008 09:22 AM

Any suggestions as to what circuit I can/should tap into?

2stroked 01-11-2008 11:32 AM

Assuming that you're tapping into the fuse box, I'd suggest looking for any "hot with ignition" circuit that's not mission critical. I always avoid things like the ECM here.

fordsoldier 01-11-2008 11:41 AM

well on my 05 I had them tapped into the parking wire, the brown wire on the headlight switch, I liked that. I had the option of having the chime, that way I could turn the my piaa lights on only if I had the parking lights on. Thats the way I really liked it, if you think about it your going to have your lights on anyway using your driving lights.

if you want to have a always hot tap the DB-OG, in the headlamp switch voltage is always supplied to this wire.

jbholmes 01-11-2008 01:46 PM

So behind my "stereo trim panel" there is an unused connector between the cigar lighter and parking aid switch - appears to be used for optional traction control system which I don't have. It has a switched power supply - see any concerns with using this as my poper point for the rocker switch?