'97 F150 Power Window Issue - not the fuse or motor

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 05:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow '97 F150 Power Window Issue - not the fuse or motor

Looking for some advice from those that know better than I

My drivers side power window stopped operating recently. Passenger side is still OK so the fuse is not the problem.

I dismantled the drivers side door, checked power at the switch which revealed what should be correct - 12vdc on one lead when UP button pressed, 12vdc on a different lead when the DOWN button is pressed (and when the AUTO DOWN button is pressed, the second lead continues to show 12vdc plus a third lead also registers 12vdc). Looks to me like the entire switch assembly is good. Can anyone confirm?

Next I checked for power at the motor itself (only 2 leads to motor so polarity of voltage must determine up or down - right?). When pressing the UP button, I observed 12vdc but when pressing the DOWN button, I did not register any voltage. I switched the 2 leads coming from the wiring harness at the connection to the window motor then pressed the UP button and the window went down as I expected. So the motor itself should be OK, correct?

There does not appear to be any component in the door that will switch polarity and since the motor only has a 2 wire input, there must be a component elsewhere that is causing my problem - or perhaps a broken wire somewhere in the path.

My truck is a 1997 F150 XLT 4x4

Any and all help in resolving this issue is appreciated - I am really trying to fix this problem without having to take it into the dealership. When my doorlocks failed a couple years ago, I had to throw more that $200 at them and I know it was not that big of job. This time I want to limit my expenses to the actual cost of the part - if it even is a failed part.

Thanks in advance for your help. I am looking forward to your responses!!!

Ray

Old 01-02-2008, 05:32 PM
I sort of had a similar problem over last summer, my problem was a dirty switch contact(s)

When you push the button, can you hear a "click" under the dash?(even if the window doesnt move) The relay might have gone on you. check the OM for which one it is. I think, but not 100% sure, but left and right and or auto down have thier own relays.

Old 01-02-2008, 08:23 PM
Thanks for your resonse -

I do not hear the click of a relay when pressing the down button, but I was under the impression that the relays for the power windows are located under the hood on the '97 F150 - is that not correct? The OM does not identify the whereabouts of the relays.

Would anyone care to share a diagram if they have one?

Old 01-03-2008, 05:18 PM
I just had to clean the switch contacts w/ 2+2. if the relay isnt clicking then the switch probably isnt sending the current to it. they may look clean, but they seem to have zero tolerance to dust. use a q-tip and you will see how much crud is on it, even though it may look clean.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:34 PM
Well - the weekend is upon us so I will attempt to fix my drivers side window problem once again.

The switch checks out good so it has to be something else - relay perhaps?

If anyone can help with some new valuable information, I would greatly appreciate the support!!!

Old 01-05-2008, 12:24 AM
http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pub.../97f12og1e.pdf

look under "roadside emergencies" pages 136-140

I guess it is a bit different than the 2000 sorry I couldnt help any more

Old 02-27-2008, 02:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ray did you ever figure out your window problem? I have a 97 also and last weekend my driver window stopped working.

Today, while replacing my battery, as soon as I connected the leads, my window went down by itself (probably latched for one touch down). I was able to raise it with the switch. I was able to duplicate it all the time.

So I know the motor is okay and so are the fuses. I'm guessing the switch somehow or other. Looking for insight if you can help. Thanks.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:45 AM
The short answer is no...

I spent some time discussing the problem with our local Ford fleet dealer, who is really good about trying to help solve the problem without requiring you to turn it over to them to fix. Even though I was pretty sure that the switch was physically OK, they decided it had to be the switch assembly so I purchased 1 ($52) and installed it. Well, that did not fix anything so I took it back and told them and they actually returned my money and restocked it (rarely done with electrical parts). So, they now believe that it has to be the motor even though if I reverse the polarity to the motor I can make the window go down and vice-versa.

Sometime in the next few weeks I will go ahead and try the motor just in case but I do not have very high confidence in this either.

If you find out something of use, please let me know. Thanks!

Ray

Originally Posted by Stormsearch
Ray did you ever figure out your window problem? I have a 97 also and last weekend my driver window stopped working.

Today, while replacing my battery, as soon as I connected the leads, my window went down by itself (probably latched for one touch down). I was able to raise it with the switch. I was able to duplicate it all the time.

So I know the motor is okay and so are the fuses. I'm guessing the switch somehow or other. Looking for insight if you can help. Thanks.

Old 10-23-2008, 07:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After checking my wiring, switches and motor - the only item left is the PCM. When I had my trans flushed at the dealer a couple weeks ago had them check it out, yep, water in the PCM fried the Window output control - $700+ for new PCM. No thanks but thought I would update the group.

Window hasn't worked in about a year but still getting by.

Quick Reply: '97 F150 Power Window Issue - not the fuse or motor