HID questions...

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 03:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question HID questions...

I have searched thru numerous threads and still need some clarification from the senior members

I installed my 9007 6K HID kit and something seems to be wrong. I plug each HID bulb independently and they both work, but as soon as I plug both HID bulbs and turn the headlight switch they both turn on but within 20 seconds the Pass. side light flickers and goes out. I have checked both fuses #26 and #28 and they are not blown at all with the 10 amp fuse. I changed them to a 20 amp fuse and same issue. I also ran a relay kit and the pass. side light does not even come on. I put the stock 9007 bulbs back in and they were perfectly fine. I did notice last night that my headlights with the stock 9007 bulbs would occasionally go dim when I would brake and brighten back up when I hit the accelerator.

Would adding a 200 high amp alternator fix this issue? Here is a list of my currrent mods:

BBK underdrive pulley's/ LED line of fire brake light/ LED bulbs for turn and reverse lights/ Pioneer AVIC N1 with 12 disc CD Changer with subs and seperates powered by 2 sets of subs to power the woofers and high's/mids...

Old 12-25-2007, 03:29 PM
im gonna go ahead and say that it is most likely the ballasts. it sounds like there is nothing wrong with the bulbs or the truck. so i would have to say that its the ballasts. i could be wrong but it sounds like the most likely source of the problem.

Old 12-25-2007, 08:24 PM
Both HID's (bulbs and ballasts) work when independently turned on. When I connect both lights and turn the headlight switch on they both turn on but within 20 seconds the pass. side flickers and turns off. I originally got my 1st set of HID's back in 2004 and I experienced almost the same problem but added a relay which lasted for only about 2 years. When I put the stock 9007 bulbs it works fine except for the occasional dimming under braking and brightening effect under acceleration.

I have underdrive pulley's and I know that is hindering the amperage but will getting a high amp alternator remedy the problem and giving me enough power to light the HID's?

Old 12-26-2007, 01:19 AM
Originally Posted by ForgedF150
I have searched thru numerous threads and still need some clarification from the senior members

I put the stock 9007 bulbs back in and they were perfectly fine. I did notice last night that my headlights with the stock 9007 bulbs would occasionally go dim when I would brake and brighten back up when I hit the accelerator.

Would adding a 200 high amp alternator fix this issue? Here is a list of my currrent mods:

BBK underdrive pulley's/ LED line of fire brake light/ LED bulbs for turn and reverse lights/ Pioneer AVIC N1 with 12 disc CD Changer with subs and seperates powered by 2 sets of subs to power the woofers and high's/mids...
About 95% sure you need a new or high power alternator, the headlights dimming with the brake lights coming on usually would indicate a bad alternator. But....if you don't have capictors for your subs install them. You need them. Your underdrive pulleys are also not helping the situation, if you haven't had your idle speed increased to compensate for the slower alternator, you probably should. My guess would be with all the negatives for your truck's electrical system the voltage gradually drops to the point where the ballasts can't keep the bulb light anymore. Just my $.02, take it for what it is worth

Old 12-26-2007, 01:43 PM
Flareside,

Thanks for your input. I already have a 1 farad cap but I will definitely look into a high amp alt and increasing the idle speed. I know now that after getting my sound system did not help my electrical system at all.

I have one question about increasing idle speed, is it req to get a tune or just adjust the set screw at the TB? Thanks for your help

Old 12-26-2007, 03:29 PM
Just for information I have the Slyvania HID conversion which I got late in 2003.
It was easy to install and has not let me down since.

HID's use less power than filiment lamps.
Check you charge voltage with a few things on (lights, AC, heater fan blower ) with engine running.
You do not need to uprate your alternator to run HID units.

Quick Reply: HID questions...