electric lock on canopy door

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 01:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
electric lock on canopy door

I bought a canopy with electric lock on the glass lift-door. The canopy was the only thing that wasn't damaged in a 04 Super Crew identical to mine that suffered a collision. Any idea where to splice the wires into the electric door lock system? The canopy has a light. Any thoughts on where to pick up 12v constant other than the tow package assembly?

Old 12-24-2007, 02:42 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Few details on your truck ( your profile is not completed ).

1. What is the trim level ?
2. What is the body style ?
3. What is the MY ( guess 04 by your SN, but I don't like to assume ).
4. Do you have a factory RKE or an aftermarket remote starter ?
5. If you have the factory RKE, do you want the cap to unlock with the driver's door, or the 2nd push which is unlock all ?
6. What is the mfgr & model of the electric lock on the top ?

On the topic of the light
7. Do you want this on with the interior lamps ?
8. Do you have the factory tow package ?
8.1. If so, is there a reason you do not want to use this ?

Old 12-24-2007, 03:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More Details

Sorry ... just getting the hang of this forum. I updated my information.
I have a 2004 SuperCrew Lariat. The canopy is a top-end Leer with electric actuator mounted on the glass lift-door. It was wired into the original rig, and I simply cut the wiring harness out of the bed. They all ran up into the cab somewhere. I'd like the door to unlock with the passenger doors (2nd press on the key fob) and auto-lock with the doors when moving or locking with the fob. I assume I need to intercept the lock/unlock wires running to one of the rear passenger doors. How do I identify the proper wires? Scematic, color code, meter and probe...?
Power for the light is obviously easy at the tow package outlet, but the original install was in the cab somewhere. Perhaps it was connected to cab lights, but I wouldn't want to have to open a cab door to get light in the canopy. The light in the canopy has its own switch.

Old 12-26-2007, 12:39 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If you want it to work on the 2nd press of the fob, this would be using any of the lock actuators other then the driver's side.

This could be the rear left door lock actuator. In the B-pillar, this is the pink w/ orange stripe and the pink w/ black stripe wires.

Pink w/ Orange stripe wire is the BSM unlock relay out signal.
Pink w/ black stripe wire is the BSM all lock relay out signal.

When you wire it to the topper lock, test the system, to make sure you don't have the polarity reversed, as this would unlock the topper when you lock the doors ( figured you might know this, but thought I would point it out anyway ).

If you pull the door sill plate on the rear left door jamb, and remove the cover on the b-pillar, the wires should be right there.

This will make the topper lock work with the door unlock ( on either of the front doors ) or when you press the RKE fob the 2nd time.

The power in the rear of the cap, the factory tow package has power when the key is in the run position. Just keep in mind, the light will not work unless the key is in the run position. if you want power at any time, you will need to run a fused connection from the battery to the rear of the truck.

Good luck, let us know if you have any questions.

Quick Reply: electric lock on canopy door