Rearview Mirror Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 10:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rearview Mirror Replacement

I need to replace the electroluminescent rearview mirror on my 01 Excursion Limited? 1) Does anyone know how to remove the mirror from the windshield?
2) Does anyone know where I can get a direct replacement mirror for the Ex (one that has the same electrical connector as the original)?
THANKS.

Old 11-01-2007, 03:05 PM
try the ford dealer? it probably won't be cheap but they should have it.

Old 11-01-2007, 08:35 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by NKENN
I need to replace the electroluminescent rearview mirror on my 01 Excursion Limited? 1) Does anyone know how to remove the mirror from the windshield?
2) Does anyone know where I can get a direct replacement mirror for the Ex (one that has the same electrical connector as the original)?
THANKS.
electroluminescent-lights up? Or do you mean auto dimming/compass/temp? Most auto dimming mirrors are made by Gentex. There are also a few other manufacturers. Gentex mirrors have a part # next to the mirror's electrical plug. They are universal and a Gentex ### will have the same plug no matter what make of car it's in. There are hundreds of mirrors on ebay. Even if you don't want to buy one there, you may find good pictures and decriptions to find out what you have.

Old 11-02-2007, 02:29 PM
Bent6, Thanks for the reply. I checked my mirror and found the following info molded into the case of the mirror: DONNELLY 1 E8 011530 the "E8" was in the center of a large "O". An internet search turned up some UK sites and some Jaguar mirrors with the same number but it appears that the mounting hardware is different. I also found some references to Lexus mirrors with the same part number but also with different mounting hardware.

Old 11-04-2007, 02:48 AM
Technical Article Contributor

If there's no allen screw on the underside (I assume you looked), then it most likely has a clip over the front of the mounting area. This being the case, I was told to grab the mirror and jerk firmly downward on it. Most of the new ones have this "break-away" feature. I cringed when doing this in my Mustang, but the miror came off, and the mount stayed on the (still intact) windshield. Might want to check with the dealer just to be sure.

As for replacement, a boneyard would be your most economical option. www.car-part.com is a site I often use for searches. For new, not sure of the sources.

HTH

Andy

Old 11-05-2007, 01:29 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Old 11-05-2007, 07:54 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Great site, Steve. This will be bookmarked for certain!

Andy (Stands corrected.)

Old 11-05-2007, 12:20 PM
Steve83, thanks for the info. The Ex mirror mount looks somewhat different than the Crown Vic mount in the drawing but the Ex mirror appears to use the same method for attaching the mirror to the base. After looking at the Crown Vic drawing, I found a small slot on the bottom of the Ex mount that appears to be a screwdriver slot for prying the mirror off the mount. Now that I know how to remove the mirror, I will start checking out the junk yards in my area.
THANKS AGAIN.

Quick Reply: Rearview Mirror Replacement