Question regarding relay under dash

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 02:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question regarding relay under dash

I am running dual batteries with a Cole Hersee marine battery switch on my 2001 SCrew. I ordered a Lifeline from American Autowire (see description below) which is supposed to allow enough current to trickle through when the switch is in the "Off" position allow memory retention. However, when I connected it (to the Batt #1 and Both terminals on the switch), and turn the switch to Off, after about 10-15 seconds I am getting a clicking sound coming from underneath my dash. I contacted American Autowire, and was told that it is probably coming from a relay that is drawing more than 3 amps, which is tripping the Lifeline which is in turn causing a relay to open and close, causing the clicking sound.

So, my question is, what could be drawing more than 3 amps when the key is not in the ignition? Doesn't that seem like a pretty high current draw when the truck is just sitting? I have not tried to take apart the dash and locate the relay yet as is is way up in there, and I was hoping that someone might be able to give me some clue.

FYI, I do not have any alarm system, or any aftermarket accessory that is not manually switched.

Thanks for any info!

Lifeline description:
As the premier electrical system manufacturer dedicated to the future of Street Rodding, we are consistently achieving new technological advancements for the Street Rod Market and are pleased to introduce the Lifeline®; the newest addition to the extensive product line. The Lifeline® enables users of a Master Disconnect Switch to retain a small amount of power for memory circuits common in fuel injection computers, radio presets and clocks. The Lifeline® is completely “resetting” eliminating the need to replace a fuse when the user tries to start the vehicle before first switching the Master Disconnect to on. The Lifeline® is a memory circuit retainer that will automatically reset after the electrical load is significantly reduced or if the Master Disconnect Switch has been switched to the on position.With the addition of this new accessory for Street Rodders, American Autowire maintains their rank in the marketplace as the number one manufacturer of Street Rod accessories and OEM reproduction harnesses

Old 10-31-2007, 03:03 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
I'm guessing you had the door open, an interior light on, or some other load active.

Quick Reply: Question regarding relay under dash