Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
battery change

I have an '01 supercrew, the battery is going dead. Am I able to
change out the battery without any issues about the computer
or anything? It's all stock. Thanks in advance, just checking
before I do anything.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:28 AM
I replaced my battery on my 2001 Supercrew Lariat and didn't have any problems. I didn't even lose my radio presets !!! I don't know if there is a proper procedure to replacing the battery. I took the neg off first and then pos. When i put the new one in I put the pos first and then neg.

I just recently had to remove the battery cables to combat some of the green corrosion that had started. I didn't have any problems with electrical there either.

I think you are fine as long as you don't repeatedly touch the connections to the battery.(on/off) That might cause some issues. Just take the cable off and push it away from the terminal.

Old 10-29-2007, 05:26 PM
^ He's right. There is no special procedure other than taking the neg. side loose first.

Old 10-29-2007, 06:04 PM
All above is correct but I usually clean the posts (even though it's new) and especially the cables connectors then add lots of silicone dielectric compound to prevent against corrosion. That crap helps alot, believe me. I put it on any metal to metal electrical spot that could become corroded. After the replacement, you should run the truck for a bit, drive around on a fast road or freeway so the computer can re-adjust. I found replacing the battery and then driving only short trips seemed to make the battery act like it's dying again. I will go for a bit of a drive after a replacement.

Quick Reply: battery change