1985 Alternator Wiring Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 01:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1985 Alternator Wiring Problem

Ok so I am removing all the PCM computer from my truck. I have installed an aftermarket carb and ignition. But now I have a problem with the charging system. According to the Autozone.com wiring diagram, the stator wire coming out of the alternator goes to the PCM. On the regulator, 1 wire is going to the ignition switch and 1 wire goes to the ammeter but it doesn't show which connector it is on the regulator. The only one I can decipher is the battery wire. A different wiring diagram I have read shows the F on the regualtor going to the Field on the alternator and the S on the regulator going to the Stator on the alternator. I tried hooking it up this way but I get no charging. Can someone please help me decipher this issue and tell me what I'm missing here.

thanks, LB

Old 10-22-2007, 10:44 PM
Anyone?

Old 10-23-2007, 04:02 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
That external VR system is a POS, and fighting it will always be a losing battle. For a LOT less hassle (& probably $), you can convert to a newer 3G alternator that only needs 2 wires: 1 to the battery, & 1 to an "ALT" light bulb (or even just a resistor) in the dash. I recently did this swap on a '75 Bronco with an '88 engine, so take a look at this photo and the NEXT few:

You can find several thorough threads about how to do it by searching on FSB. Look for threads where Fireguy50 has posted since he's one of the wiring gurus there, and he also drives an '80-86 truck. He also builds custom wiring harnesses and offers a LOT of info on his websites.

http://rjminjectiontech.com/
http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/

Old 10-24-2007, 04:25 PM
Agree with "Steve83". I had a 86 Ford Bronco and replaced the entire electrical system before adding a dual battery installation. I had incurred a wiring problem between the alternator to the IP feed through. On some vehicles that were equipped with an IP mounted "Charging" meter there is a loop through feed from the Alternator's Regulator out through this meter, and IP Charging "Fault" dummy light.
( IP = Instrument Panel). That lead ends at the Ignition Switch "run" circuit. It may be possible that the cause of the charging problem is a defective contact on the Ignition Switch's "run" terminal or the IP meter terminal has shorted or broke open; which will not allow DC to feed the regulator's I circuit.
I eventually replaced the Bronco's electrical system with a Single Lead 140 Amp Alternator from J.H. Whitney. The single lead alternators do not require or support remote indicators or regulators.

Old 10-24-2007, 04:53 PM
Thanks for posting website

I would like to personally thank "Steve83" for posting the website of FordFuelInjection. That was an incredible amount of information on Ford Products that I didn't know was available.
The only vehicle that I had been working on involving performance upgrades was my 1994 Firebird Firehawk.
So my experience was basically GM based.
Your friend at FordFuel posts almost an encyclopedia of information.

Quick Reply: 1985 Alternator Wiring Problem