Here's some food for thought

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 10:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Here's some food for thought

I have an '07 Scab Lariat. I have a dealer installed remote start. The other day I disconnected the battery to install some plow wires that I had no intention of making the connections, just running the wires for neatness. The plow dealer woulkd have made all the connections. I disconnected the battery for a safety factor, in case a wire touched something somewhere. When I reconnected the battery, the truck started on it's own. I disconnected the battery and reconnected and the truck started again. (good thing i didn't have my head in the belt or fan). Well i knew there was something wrong so I put i back together and was off to the dealer the next day. Next morning, deader than a door nail. Roadside assistance and off to the dealer. Dealer said there is some malfunction with the remotes they used and it does start the truck on reconnect. Now their telling me the main computer is shot because the voltage regulator is not on the alternater but in the computer and it's not covered under warranty because I disconnected the battery and the plow wires are in (but not connected) the engine compartment. Well I ain't paying and the truck can sit there until it goes to the Supreme Court. But just a warning to anybody that has a Avital remote start in their '07. DON'T DISCONNECT THE BATTERY.

Old 10-07-2007, 02:36 PM
What your supposed to do before your reconnect the battery is flip the switch that turns the remote start on/off (click it to off position) then reconnect the battery then switch it back. The on/off switch should be underneath your dash board.

Old 10-07-2007, 04:06 PM
There should be a hood pin safety switch that inhibits the autostart. If the switch is not installed there is an obvious safety issue there and whoever installed the autostart is liable.
Did the dealer install the autostart or did they send it to an outside shop?

Old 10-08-2007, 05:30 AM
the dealer installed the remote and there is no switch to disable it or a hood safety pin

Old 10-08-2007, 06:58 AM
Hold their ***** to the fire then! Both of those safety items should always be installed with any remote start.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:52 AM
I would definitely raise hell with the dealer that installed the autostart. It says in the manual in very large letters that the hood pin switch must be installed to prevent possible injuries and death due to the engine starting while you are working near the engine.
I have an autostart and it has the hood pin switch installed. There isnt any way to work around the engine safely without it, my autostart will start the truck if it gets below -20F or if it recieves a start comand from the remote and it has a range of at least 1/4 mile.

Quick Reply: Here's some food for thought