Is my battery toast?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 02:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is my battery toast?

Hi. Ran my stereo for an hour with the engine off, and the battery goes dead, ( and I hear a clicking sound) Truck only will fire up with a jump, then starts all the time. Is it my battery or what?

Old 08-27-2007, 03:21 PM
Originally Posted by rodangus
Hi. Ran my stereo for an hour with the engine off, and the battery goes dead, ( and I hear a clicking sound) Truck only will fire up with a jump, then starts all the time. Is it my battery or what?
Well the stock stereo shouldn't have killed the battery after only an hour, but if you left the key turned to the "on" position (instead of accesory), with the radio running, it probably would run your battery dead. Because when you turn your key to the "on" position, you energize several other power hungry circuits, especially the PCM.

But I guess if its cranking fine, just let it be.

Old 08-27-2007, 03:44 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
You should be alright, if it keeps dying in the next couple days under normal use check your alternator and the battery both.
-Patrick

Old 08-27-2007, 03:53 PM
Get the battery checked and fully charged if needed. I did the same thing, although it was not a stock radio, I have 2 pairs of mids/highs and 2 10" subs. I drained the battery twice when tuning the sound and just jumped the battery without fully charging it. 2 days latter I was stranded with a fried battery. You do get a warning that its giving out, when you start the truck, the guages will sweep back and forth a couple times and then level out back to normal. Once this happens, you got maybe 2-3 more cranks left before it dies on you.

Old 08-27-2007, 11:35 PM
When you chk. the battery you need to chk. each individual cell also. The battery can check good with a meter and still have a bad cell which will cause problems.

Quick Reply: Is my battery toast?