Electrical system shutdown

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 02:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Electrical system shutdown

The following two incidents have to do with my 2001 F150. Both incidents relate to a situation where it seems the battery or starter solenoid need replacing. The first was while parked with the windows rolled down I had the radio on and engine off for about an hour after which I tried to start it up and it sounded like the starter solenoid was shot. I tried to start it agian after a couple of hours and it started right up as if nothing had happened. That was about six months ago.It has run great until today

The second incident happened late today. I accidently left the key in the ignition with the doors unlocked for about an hour. When I returned to my truck and tried to start it, it was as if the battery was removed from the truck. Zilch, nada, zippo, nothing. The truck is now sitting in front of my office waiting for my return in the morning. I really like this truck and depend on it. What should I check in the morning if it doesn't start? Any input is deeply appreciated.

Old 07-14-2007, 02:34 AM
87.8% sure it's your battery, they can do really funky things once they start to go bad.
Good luck

Old 07-14-2007, 02:36 AM
Originally Posted by Shane1
87.8% sure it's your battery, they can do really funky things once they start to go bad.
Good luck
I would feel better if it was 87.8%. Thanks!

Old 07-14-2007, 02:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i agree. parked my truck overnite, got up to go to work ,she was 100% dead.no lights or nothing. i tryed jumping it, still nothing. the battery was only 2years old. they just die like that sometimes. threw i brand new one ,she fired right up, not a problem since.

Last edited by keith97xlt; 07-14-2007 at 02:46 AM.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:56 AM
Thanks. I'm old enough to say I've changed a few batteries, starters, alternators and water pumps in my life. This is the first time I've had a battery go out on me like this. I didn,t mention in my original post that I tried to jump it but it it acted like it still was not geting enough. And when the key was out of the ignition with the jumper cables still in place the door locks went up and down and there was a clicking noise under the dash near the steering wheel. I miss the good 'ol days when vehicles were simpler.

Old 07-14-2007, 12:15 PM
Actually, you're 100% correct. Installed new battery this morning.

Old 07-17-2007, 02:56 AM
Sweeeeeeet!

Quick Reply: Electrical system shutdown