Third Brake Light Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 01:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Third Brake Light Questions

ok my third brake light quit working (its the one right above the back window) and any way i took off the cover and the bulbs have melted were they sit like nothing else is damaged just the "bulb holders" so i think i need to get just like the wires for back there so i can splice them together or if any body has any other suggestions like where i can find those wires or you know anything helps

Old 05-08-2007, 04:26 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Take a look at the interior dome lamp.
Usually the 3rd brake light runs through the interior dome lamp, and I think down the pass side C-pillar, down the pass side door sill to the connectors in the pass side kick panel.

This is what I am trying to recall on the SCab cab design, I might be recalling the Std cab design, as far as running via the interior down lamp.

All 3 cab types use the C-pillar for routing of the wires, you might have to pull the trim panel on the back of the cab, if I got that dome lamp wrong.

Old 05-10-2007, 04:16 PM
well if its the bulb holder base that melted away then it should be a simple fix, i think advance would carry a replacement socket that you could splice on. should be a 912 (cargo lights) and a 922 (brake) bulb if they didnt change it from 94-97 (dont quote me though) but once you have them just cut the original off (1 at a time) and then splice the new one on. leave yourself enough wire to do the job and for next time you have to remove it again. (personally i would replace all the bulbs as well - but thats me.. :P

Last edited by kingsnkviper; 05-10-2007 at 04:20 PM.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:34 PM
I have a question about the 3rd light.. I live in Ontario and I was on a trip down south to Georgia last month and I noticed that the 3rd lights on most newer trucks flashed when you applyed the brake.. Is this an option? Is there any way that I can set this up on my truck? Cause up here in Canada our 3rd light doesn't flash it just turns on when the brake is pressed.
Any info would be great.

Gerry

Old 05-13-2007, 10:33 AM
As I know, the 3rd Brake light flashing is not a factory option, its an aftermarket bulb and 3rd brake light. I think if you want better visibility as far as the 3rd brake light goes...I would install an LED one. IMHO the flashing is a bit too distracting and bothers some a little bit, although it does its purpose of getting EVERYONE's attention that you are slowing down or stopping.
~Phil

Old 05-13-2007, 12:38 PM

I just read something on ST.net where the newer Cadillacs & Lexus have modulated brake lights. While I have never seen/noticed this myself, if this is what you are referring to you can use a Kissan Tailblazer in the 3rd brake light if you want it modulated.

LED bulbs are usually not that great when viewed on an angle in general ( design of the reflector vs the design of a LED bulb. Some mfgr's have tried to take care of this by pointing LEDs different direction on the bulb, but still it is lacking in light output, unless straight on.

These are made for motorcycles, but should be easy enough to install in the headliner for your 3rd brake light
http://www.kisantech.com/index.php?cat_id=3
These will flash your bulb when the brakes are applied.

I run a Whelen 700 series LED S/T/T light head on my ZG, in place of the stock housing ( reflector and LEDs designed to work together ).
http://www.sirennet.com/73serledbrak.html
I have it set to flash 3 times, then be steady on.
http://www.pbase.com/elvin315/image/41409455

This works great with getting cage's attention so well, that I got a set of Whelen 400 S/T/T light heads for my truck, to mount either in the cap rear window, or next to the LED backup lamps.
http://www.sirennet.com/wh400sebr.html
I will have them set to be brake lights only, with the same 3 flash, steady on pattern.
While some might find the 3 pulse flash prior to steady on annoying, that means they are working, they got noticed, and that is what one would want from brake lights.

Just some thoughts on the topic. Any of the above should be available online in CAN, or it might not be too bad to get them across the boarder. I have had mixed results in getting tagged with items, from CAN.
Some are clipped for customs duty, others right through.
I have the best luck from New Zealand and the UK for going straight through 100% of the time. I use a motorcycle online place in Boston, UK quite often.

Old 05-14-2007, 03:28 PM
If you want to replace the whole thing, I have this:

I was just guessing at the year range - I'm not familiar with '97-up trucks. But it's complete, with the wiring that goes into the cab, and it's in good shape. E-mail me if you want it.

Old 05-14-2007, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Steve83
If you want to replace the whole thing, I have this:..<snip>...
I don't what to know how large of a building you have for all this stuff

It has to be 100'x200' for all the stuff I see you have over at the other site.

Old 05-14-2007, 09:16 PM
I wish. If I had that much room, I might have enough space to put at least ONE car in the garage. I'm a hopeless packrat - I can't stand the thought of trashing something that SOMEONE (esp. me) might be able to use one day. I did some cleaning last weekend, and I ALMOST made enough room to get my g/f's MG B back in there, but not quite.

Quick Reply: Third Brake Light Questions