My headlamp bulb BLEW UP!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 03:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My headlamp bulb BLEW UP!

So my friend and i saw 2 coyotes running around my neighbourhood in a soccer feild so we watched them chasing the bunnies. They even got as close as 10 feet to us when running around the perimeter. It was pretty cool. So we start to head to the other side of the feild, driving in the alley, and there is this car parked. So i stop and pull my light controller stick thingy inwards (so i get both high and low beams on at once) The kids don't even care or notice and keep making out. So after like 30 seconds i guess the -16 Celcius got to the bulb and my buddy and I heard a huge popping noise...followed by no light on the right side. So we drive away after giving the guy a thumbs up...to which he laughed haha. When we got out to look at it the bulb fragments were in the headlamp and the reflictive surround is slightly scratched up. I guess I'll be going to the dealership tomorrow to get some new warranty bulb. I'm going to ask for a new headlamp too, because i really don't like the scratched crap lol. But i am going to ask to keep the damaged casing and make some projector housings into the Stock headlights for HID

Old 11-25-2006, 08:00 AM
Not to bust your bubble, but lightbulbs are not a warranty item.

Old 11-25-2006, 09:16 AM
^^^^^^ditto what tex said

Mike

Old 11-25-2006, 11:03 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
1) Bulbs are warrantable under certain conditions, but not this. Since the non-warrantable bulbs damaged the reflectors, they aren't warrantable, either.

2) It wasn't the LOW temp that made them break - it was the HIGH temp. Most headlight systems aren't made to have the lo & hi filaments burning at the same time because it puts out too much heat for the bulb(s) &/or housing(s), as you just discovered. But Ford's flash-to-pass circuit powers the high beams regardless of the low being on - that's why it's called FLASH... You're not supposed to hold it on even for a second.

3) When you replace the bulb(s), make SURE you don't touch the glass with your skin. The oil can shatter the bulb, & here's how: as you've seen on engines & frying pans, burned oil is reduced to a black varnish because it's mainly carbon. As you know from leaving things out in bright sunlight, black things convert more light to heat than clear or light-colored things. So when you use the lights, your fingerprints on the glass will burn to carbon, then heat the glass to its melting point, & then the bulb will blow. Wash your hands before installing the bulbs, & use soft paper to handle them.

Last edited by Steve83; 11-25-2006 at 11:05 AM.
Old 11-25-2006, 01:14 PM
Damn! Not warranty-able!? That sucks. I'm still gonna make a fuss over the scratched light though, cause that sucks.

Thanks alot for those tips Steve, that will help me a lot when i install the new bulbs

Old 11-26-2006, 04:28 AM
Talked to the service manager, and he was quite sure it would all be fixed under warranty. "Just bring it in on monday" he told me. Good service

Old 11-30-2006, 10:41 PM
Took them three days but they replaced the whole assembly and bulb . So how's that for service!

Old 11-30-2006, 10:58 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by crashtheline
Took them three days but they replaced the whole assembly and bulb . So how's that for service!
WHAT?? they had your truck for 3 days just to change one light fixture?

Old 12-01-2006, 02:00 AM
Haha yea, on monday the service manager said he could do it Tues, so i said ok sure. but the service advisor said we are booked till wed/thurs. So i said w/e. Then she said i can get it done tomorrow for you (tues) so i left my truck there. Then i jsut delt with it on wednesday and went in after class. She said they had to order a new headlamp and it would be done tomorrow (thurs). So today (thurs) it was done at noon. Wish she had of told me it needs to be ordered so i could just go and come back. But w/e 4 drivers and 4 cars in my family so i worked aroudn it.

Quick Reply: My headlamp bulb BLEW UP!