trailer harness question

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 10:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trailer harness question

I put new decking on my flatbed trailer this summer and since my trailer lights quit working. Since the old wiring was not looking great anyway, I got a new 4 prong harness to re-wire the lights. I can't get that to work either! I put white to ground on the tongue lift and I'm pretty sure it's a good ground, but am getting no power to the lights still. It's pretty straightforward, could the recepticle on the truck be out? If so, how do I check? I have a test light, but I'm no electrical genius!
Tom
97 Expy w/ tow pkg.

Old 11-18-2006, 11:18 PM
You can buy a checker at Wal Mart for the vel 4 plug to see it is working ok,it has ights on it for all the tests.Then check the rest if the trailer wireing for breaks and your lights to see they are clean were the bulbs go in.Just replaceing the plug can't help if the rest of the wireing is bad from old age.With the deck off would be a good time too rewire it.That's my 2 cents worth.

Old 11-19-2006, 01:40 AM
Is there a fuse for the trailer harness on the vehicle? I should start there!..

Old 11-19-2006, 10:51 AM
Where are the wires ran on the trailer, if they are ran on the peice that the wood sits on, you will most likely have to replace the wiring

Old 11-19-2006, 11:21 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 97Expyguy
Is there a fuse for the trailer harness on the vehicle? I should start there!..
Check your owners manual starting on page 137.

What is the Trailer Harness question you have ?
I am reading that you can't get the new harnes you just installed on the trailer to work, which this has to do with your EXPY how ?

Have you checked the 4 pin trailer adapter with a meter or test lamp to see if it works correctly ?

You changed something on the trailer, and with it not working, the post makes it sound like you are going after your factory harness for the source of the problem.

Old 11-19-2006, 01:26 PM
Not sure about the 97, my 03 had seperate fuse setup for the trailer plug. Also had a problem with the plug ON THE BACK SIDE coming loose, it is not a crimp connection but a back to back plug. You might see if it came loose?

Old 11-19-2006, 05:02 PM
Ah Hah!... I found I have a blown fuse! it was #1 mini-fuse. At least this is where I can start. Thanks for the replies! Hopefull this will solve it!
Tom

Quick Reply: trailer harness question