Power window conversion

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 02:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power window conversion

Hey, I have a 97 F150 XL and I want to get power windows. I am wandering would it be possible to find the power window mechanisms and door panels out of an XLT and pop them in my truck? Is the wiring harness allready in my truck, or do I need to tap into the power supply somewhere? I am trying to get power windows and I want to try and do it the easiest and lest painfull way, all while not hurting the pocket book. Did I mention I want it to look close to stock too? Hah, well thanks for the help guys,
-Mark

Old 11-06-2006, 02:25 AM
you would probably need power window tracks, will need to tap into the fues, new door panels, power window motors, and some wiring into what fuse it goes to, and I think thats all.

Old 11-06-2006, 03:01 AM
Yes, you can make it look and operate 100% factory, but it's not easy and most of it is time consuming electrical monkey chasing. I ran into this making both my windows automatic roll down. I would strongly suggest having a friend let you borrow a service manual or subscribing to All-Data. The main harness should be prepared for the factory hookups, minus any relays or fuses. As for the mechanicals, I'm fairly certain that the tracks are the same, you just need to buy the motors, but this isn't a cheap mod, look on spending about 250-300 for the panels, 200-400 for the motors, and 100 bucks for the switches in the panels assuming you buy it all new. Frankly, if your truck is pretty much stock, it would be easier to sell it and buy an XLT, on the other hand if your like me, challenges like these are fun, even if you spend every waking moment in the garage for the next week.

Quick Reply: Power window conversion