Tail light/brake light/fuse #13 blowing repeatedly

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 06:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks everyone for the great tips so far... even if I don't solve this problem I can happily say that I am learning a TON about my trucks electrical system.
Thanks to JMC, a possible break was made in the case, but I won't know for certain until I can get a little better look and it was too dark by hte time I was able to check it out. I popped off the air filter and checked out the three connectors under the air filter, most looked good, did notice one of the yellow wires appeared to be a bit frayed, probably from the old K&N FIPK that used to be on there (old design, rattled around a lot) but didn't notice any other wiring issues. Decided to follow those wires for a bit, and found that the whole wire loom had apparently come detached from the wheel well where I know it used to be attached to and was now resting against one of the drivers side JBA Header. Just knowing how hot these headers get I can definately see it melting through these wires with ease. I saw that AT LEAST the plastic wire loom cover that was surround the whole bundle was damaged, but unable to determine from my vantage point and the dark whether or not the wires inside were damaged. My guess is, if there are brake light wires running through there, which apparently there are, then this could be the problem but I don't know for certain until I can get a better view.
I pulled the wire loom away from the header to keep it from damaging it further, and tried to get some decent pics of it but again it was pretty dark out.

Old 11-06-2006, 07:18 PM
check the wires around the brake pedal if you have one rubbing its shorting out .... blown fuses usually lead to short circuits .... might want to look for bare wires ...... it happened to my ford

Old 11-07-2006, 03:36 PM
Well it appears we have our culprit! I've at least made the truck street legal though now the ABS light is on so I think I must've cross-wired something accidentally. I decided to take a long lunch break, heres what I found when I turned the wiring harness around:

So I spent about 2 hours pulling apart wires, figuring out what connected to what and unfortunately in many cases having to replace several inch sections of wire as many were burned beyond recognition.

I started the truck up, popped in a new fuse, plut flashers on, tried signals left/right, brake, flashers, brake, etc. and they allw orked ok (though the third brake light still doesnt work, odd) took her for a quick spin around the neighborhood...a lternated turn signals on, hazards on, constant braking, and no blown fuse yet.
But like I said, the ABS light is on so I think I must've cross-wired something or the wiring wasn't proper enough and something isnt receiving enough voltage or something. My hunch is I'll end up just having to replace that whole wiring harness. Joe or Jean Marc, do you happen to have a part number on that? It'd be the part that goes all the way up to the front for the 3 connectors, and then all the way to the back. I'm guessing it won't be cheap.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:43 AM
Fuse 13 keeps blowing

Thank you to the gentleman who posted the solution of the Speed Control Switch. It turns out after hours and hours of searching for a shorted wire I read his post and was able to find the speed control switch. It appears there was a recall for my 2000 F-150 Lariat and the spped control switch was faulty and causing brake fluid to fill up in the wiring connection. At first is would cause the fuse to blow every so often and then one day it became a hard short in the circuit. That post likely saved me hundreds of dollars and now I am taking it to the dealer to get the recall fixed. I appreciate the post and the info.

Old 07-28-2012, 06:02 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
You know, this thread was dormant for almost 6 years.

There's plenty of threads about the speed control recall 05S28 and fuse F13.

Last edited by projectSHO89; 07-28-2012 at 06:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Tail light/brake light/fuse #13 blowing repeatedly