A short, Short?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 09:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A short, Short?

Ok, let me take it from the start. I'm rebuilding a 01 f-150 super crew 4x4 5.4L. I had to remove the driver side door which was badly damaged and for some dumb reason just cut the wires leading into the door. It was damaged badly so I though I could not reach in and just unhook them (my mistake). So I had been able to crank the truck up and run it just fine. Then about a month ago I had to replace the front passenger side axle housing so I had to drop and raise the front differential to get the tube back on. Once on I started the vehicle back up and got a low fuel message which I put in 5 gallons and ran fine all was good. Then I decided to hook up one of those HF OBD II code readers because the "check engine light" was on. Did that and got no codes at all. So thought "hey lets clear any codes or other problems that might be around" and did that. Then went back and tried to start it up and all it did was crank but not would not fire. I then checked to see if any fuel pressure was there by opening the Schrader valve on the passenger side and nothing. Checked my Inertia switch and it was down. I then tried to jump terminal 30 to 87 and see if I could get the fuel pump turn on and nothing. So SSCULLY makes a great point and asks about the other wiring which is not yet connected. So I go through and re-connect the door wiring harness using solder and shrink tube to make sure all are solid connections. I also double check to make sure the wires are matching color wires so there are not cross connections. Now here's what happens. When I go to connect one of the wiring harness to the multi power door driver side connection one starts to smoke. So I removed it and tried to jump this one wire and it wants to spark. Only this one wire wants to do it. So this must mean I have a short but for the life of me I can’t seem to figure out where. I tried a continuity check on this wire and it checks fine. I will tell you though, that after a while of cranking the battery was low and I could hear a loud ticking noise from the fuse for the fuel relay under the hood.? But I would really like to know how to chase down that one hot wire? The other thing is I’m thinking that when I was lowering and raising that front differential case I must have crimped or disconnected something. I would take it to the dealer, but this is not my daily driver "YET" and I have time to try and figure this out.

Thanks everyone

Quick Reply: A short, Short?