Battery Indicator Stays On

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 11:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Battery Indicator Stays On

I have an issue and need HELP. As a matter of coincidence, I put a new gatorback serpentine belt on my 4.6 2 weeks ago and everything was fine. I changed the plugs a week ago and plug wires this weekend. After changing the plug wires, took it for a test drive and everything was fine. Started to go to the store with my son who wanted me to plug in a DC to AC converter for his gameboy and the batter indicator came on and wouldn't go off. I unplugged the battery to reset the computer but the light remained on. Took it for a drive and the light went off after about 5 minutes. Stopped and restarted the engine, light came on for about a minute and went off. Drove to work this morning for 30 mins and the light remains on. Everything electrical works fine, the headlights are constant, no dimming. Any idea what could cause this or is my alternator possibly going bad. The truck starts fine and idles so smooth you can hardly tell its running at a red light. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 10-02-2006, 01:45 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
With a '99 MY, you can put the digital display into DTM, and get the voltage reading while driving, and when the battery lamp comes on.

The info for entering DTM, and which display you want it on : Good luck, let us know what happens.

Activating Test Mode

To enter the HEC Dealer test mode, depress and hold the instrument cluster SELECT/RESET button, turn the ignition switch to the RUN position, and then continue pressing the SELECT/RESET button (5 seconds) until tESt is displayed in the odometer. The SELECT/RESET button must be released within 3 seconds of the odometer tESt display to begin the dealer test mode.

Depress the SELECT/RESET button to advance through the following steps until dtc is displayed. Depressing the SELECT/RESET button will display any stored continuous DTCs before proceeding to the next step.

GAGE
Activates gauge sweep of all gauges, then displays present gauge values. Also carries out the checksum tests on ROM and EE. If the gauge sweep is inoperative, INSTALL a new instrument cluster.

All segments illuminated
lluminates all odometer segments. If any odometer segment is inoperative INSTALL a new instrument cluster.

bulb
lluminates all micro-controlled indicators and LEDs. Install a new indicator or LED as necessary.

r
eturns to normal operation of all micro-controlled indicators and LEDs and displays hexadecimal value for ROM level. (used when requesting assistance from the hotline). If alternating flashes for FAIL and ROM level are displayed, INSTALL a new instrument cluster.

EE
Displays the hexadecimal value for EE level (used when requesting assistance from hotline). If alternating flashes of FAIL and EE level are displayed replace instrument cluster.

dt
Displays hexadecimal coding of final manufacturing test date (used when requesting assistance from hotline).

dtc
Displays continuous DTC's in hexadecimal format. Pressing the SELECT/RESET button will display any DTCs stored before proceeding to the next step.

enG
Displays the English speed in MPH. Speedometer will indicate present speed within tolerances. Display will show 0 if input in not received. If input is invalid for one second or more, or if speed is 0.

m
Displays the metric speed data in kph. Speedometer will indicate present speed within tolerances. Display will show 0 if input in not received. If input is invalid for one second or more, or if speed is 0.

tAc
Displays the tachometer data received from the PCM via the SCP network within tolerances. Tachometer will indicate present RPM. Display will show 0 if input is no received, if input received is invalid for one second or more, or if engine RPM is 0.

FUEL
Displays the code (0-255) for the fuel sender input to the HEC. The fuel gauge will display a filtered fuel level value. This filter will keep the pointer from moving suddenly or erratically.
255 open send +/- 0
232 full stop +/- 0
215 Full mark +/- 10
178 3/4 mark +/- 8
138 1/2 mark +/- 7
93 1/4 mark +/- 5
41 E mark +/- 4
54 Low Fuel (0-59)
0-18 short (0-20 max)

OIL
Displays the code (0-250) for the oil pressure switch input to the HEC. Oil pressure gauge will indicate present oil pressure. Normal oil pressure (greater than 6psi) will display a value between 000 and 176. A low oil pressure or an inoperative engine oil pressure switch (less than 6 psi) will display a value greater than 176.

dEGC
Display of engine temperature in Degrees C input from cylinder head temperature sensor.
49 C "C" mark
60 C Normal band start
120 C Normal band end
-40 C No SCP message for 5 seconds

bAtt
Displays the code (0-255) for the battery voltage input to the HEC. Battery voltage gauge will indicate present battery voltage.
93-102 6.2-9.1 volts, low voltage
115-124 8.5-10.7 volts, Normal band start
215-225 15.8-18 volts, Norm band end
230-241 16.9-19.1 volts, high voltage

rhEo
Displays the present decimal rheostat dimming input, 0-255 (used when requesting assistance from the hotline)

rhi
not used

rhS
not used

rho
not used

Cr
Displays the current RUN/START sense input. Display will show -h for high input with the ignition switch in the START position and -L for low input with the ignition switch in the RUN position.

PA-PE7
not used

GAGE
Repeats the display cycle

Source: Helms 99 manual.

Quick Reply: Battery Indicator Stays On