Alternator or ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 08:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alternator or ???

1998 F150 V6 4.2L 166K
Here is what happened today: Driving home was no problem until I got 1 mile from home. All of the sudden my XM radio shutoff. I turned it back and it was ok for about a minute and then shut off again. I thought the thing was dying. I went out to the store and the same thing was happening. When I went to start the truck it hesitated like the battery was weak, but it started. I had the same problem with the radio. Then as I was driving it felt like the truck died. I looked at the Alternator gauge and it wasn't reading, then all of the other gauges went dead. I was able to get it home, but it has no juice to restart so I can't take it to Autozone to have the alternator checked. Do these symptoms sound like a dead alternator to you guy's/gal's? Thanks!

Old 08-15-2006, 11:45 AM
You need to test each component. Alt, battery, cables. Generally speaking, alternators are killed by another component. Battery could be bad causing alt to work overtime. Same for a cable. I guess what I'm trying to say is, if the alt tests bad, don't just end your search there. Sure they can go on their own.....sometimes. Hope this helps.

Old 08-17-2006, 11:29 AM
Thanks.
I took the alternator to Autozone and had it tested. It failed. Bought a new one and all is well now.

Old 08-17-2006, 02:15 PM
""I guess what I'm trying to say is, if the alt tests bad, don't just end your search there. Sure they can go on their own.....sometimes. ""

Hope it works for ya!

Quick Reply: Alternator or ???