power windows, a/c occassionally shut down

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 09:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
power windows, a/c occassionally shut down

Have 2001 F150 4.6l v-8. After starting up, the truck lacked some power on acceleration, and the power windows would not work, nor would the a/c.
Following a short trip restarted the truck, and everything works fine.

Any ideas? Thought it might be a fuse problem, but why would it start working again?
Thanks.

Old 04-16-2006, 11:31 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I would think time to stick your head up under the dash, and check the GEM / Fuse block for discoloration. You might have the windshield leak, and it could be causing the GEM / Fuse block to get wet.

The GEM controls the power windows ( auto down function ) and a few other things.

The wet GEM / Fuse block start to manifest itself as strange electrical gremlins ( not just the wiper gremlins ).

Take a flash light and look up under the dash by the parking brake, to look for water marks, or other signs of water ( corrosion, green-ish oxidation, etc ).

I hope it is not the case with your truck, this can be a PITA to fix, or some heavy shop labor to fix it. The one that does not seem inline with the GEM / Fuse block problem is the lack of power, but I don't know if the other posts on this, members just forget to include it / don't notice it that much.

Old 04-16-2006, 04:02 PM
Naturally, i just bought the truck used about 2 months ago. Its a 2001 with just 21,000 miles. Guess it is completely out of warranty. Have there been any recalls, etc, to get Ford to fix this?
Thanks for the help.

Old 04-17-2006, 07:27 AM
This morning I got in my '01 Screw and the driver's side power window would not go up. After letting it sit at work for a half hour or so, I went back out and the switch worked. I guess it will be going to the shop tomorrow since I am going on a 4-day camping trip this weekend and don't want to get stuck with a window down. I'm guessing the control switch in the door is shorting out or going bad.

Quick Reply: power windows, a/c occassionally shut down