have spark + no start = massive confusion

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 09:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question have spark + no start = massive confusion

ok, so my 89 f150 302 AOD 2wd is not starting.

i was told it might be the HEP (stator/PIP/insert your own name here) and/or the TFI module(ignition module)

i had the TFI module checked out at the auto parts store and they said it's fine. i also checked the OHMage of the TFI module at home and it also shows fine. i have allready replaced the HEP/PIP/insert your own name here inside the distributor.

i checked the voltage at the harness going into the TFI module at all 6 pins. i am not able to determine which pin coinsides with pin #1 through pin 6. this probably doesn't matter since i am NOT getting near 12 volts at either pins 1 and 6. i'm only getting 3.9 and 4.5 volts. all the other pins i'm getting the full 12 volts, except for pins 3 or 4 since i don't have anyone to help me roll the ignition to START to check that voltage.

my repair manual says that all 6 pins need to be within 90% of total battery output (12.5 volts).

i am now seeing that the ignition switch itself may be bad since the repair manual says to check it out on this test and from another seperate test which did not pass.

opinions?

Quick Reply: have spark + no start = massive confusion