New F-150 Owner (1997) Please Help? Few Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 08:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New F-150 Owner (1997) Please Help? Few Questions

Greetings All-

I am new to the F-150 world, but I love my truck. It is a 1997 F-150 Lariat 4.6 L Triton, Shortbed ext. cab. Everything is working great, minus a few small items. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The power side mirrors are not working. I have checked the fuses under the steering wheel column with the "buse" fuse checker and they all seem fine. I am not to sure about the relays or the fuses under the hood. Anyone know where I could start??

Also, keyless entry! I bought the truck used (about 80,000mi) and it did not come with a keyless entry. When the doors are locked and I unlock them from the passenger side, an alarm goes off and I have to turn the ignition to the on position to turn it off. This does not happen when I unlock from the driver side. I also have a Auto Theft light on the dash board that also works. This makes me think I should have keyless entry. The tennie bopper at Ford said that it said N/A under keyless entry for my VIN. I don't know.
Any help??? What are my options??

My truck also did'nt come with an Owners Manual. So I feel im already starting behind the "8 ball". Does anyone know where on-line I can go to get helpful information? (fuse/wiring diagrams, troubleshooting, repair, etc.)
And/or does anyone know who or where I can get a owners manual for my truck at a decent price?

Again, Thank you for any help you can forward. I have viewed some threads and see there are alot of very knowledgable F-150 guys out there and I would like to be one some day. Please help.

God Bless

Old 02-17-2006, 08:44 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Welcome aboard.

Download an owner's manual from www.fleet.ford.com under "Maintenance"

Bootleg copies for the Ford Service CD are on ebay for under $10 or you can download from wwwdotfordcdsdotcom (just follow directions).

For the power mirrors, check fuse F4 in the under dash fuse/relay panel. If good, the power mirror switch assembly is probably bad.

It does sound like your truck is equipped with the RAP anti-theft module. Your Ford dealer's parts expert should be able to help you with getting a remote tranmitter. You can also find them on ebay if you know which one to look for.

It also sounds like the right door anti-theft switch is not working (note: This is electrically different from the "door ajar" switch). The anti-theft switch in each door is supposed to deactivate the RAP module when a key is used in the door lock cylinder. While the anti-theft switch is separate from the door ajar switch, a door ajar switch circuit fault can also cause RAP problems. If you're having any issues with the door ajar or interior lights staying on, hit the door switch with WD-40 and see if you get lucky.

Steve

Last edited by projectSHO89; 02-17-2006 at 08:47 AM.
Old 02-19-2006, 09:16 PM
Steve

Thanks for the info on the owners manual. I now have one on my computer at least.

I checked the fuse (4) for the power mirror problem and its fine. What would you recommend next? Do I need to take the panel off the door to check the connection? What would I be looking for??

Thanks
Derrick

Old 03-18-2006, 09:10 PM
you can get the wireless keyfob on ebay. i bought one and it works great. it came with programming instructions. it is black with a rectangle shape has 2 buttons on top 1 open 1 close and a red panic button under. as far as the mirrors you need to see if you have power at the switch.

Old 03-18-2006, 09:42 PM
My 97 has keyless entry from the factory. As for the power mirrors, a friend of mines's switch came unhooked and that was why his didn't work. It's easy to check. Just pry the window/lock/Power mirror panel off.

Quick Reply: New F-150 Owner (1997) Please Help? Few Questions