Want to hardwire GPS antenna..

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 05:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Want to hardwire GPS antenna..

I have the HP bluetooth GPS that works with my pocket pc.. The antenna/gps device itself has a built-in re-chargable battery, or you can plug it into the 12v outlet to power or to charge with.

I want to hardwire this, and I got an add-a-circuit kit; however I'm concerned that I'll fry something. My main concern is that on the DC power cable, it says that the input is 12v/1.5a, and output is 5v/2a. Also it says to leave unplugged until the vehicle has started.

Also, the power cable is 3 conductor.. What is the third conductor for? (Red, White, and Yellow).

How do I hardwire this to accomplish the same characteristics?

Last edited by SSpiro; 12-11-2005 at 05:51 PM.
Old 12-11-2005, 08:25 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Going to bump this up to ELECTRICAL... I think they'll be able to help you out up 'atta' way.

RP

Old 12-24-2005, 09:44 PM
buuump.

Old 12-24-2005, 10:36 PM
First off, and I'm not being a smarta$$, but you're not wiring the antenna, but the power cable. I was confused when I saw "antenna" and then something about v/a... What exactly is this "add a circuit kit?"
The easiest way to do this would be to find an open terminal in the interior fuse box. Be aware that there are two basic types: Ones that work with the key on only, and ones that work with the key off or on. A 12 volt test light or a multimeter will tell you that info. Find the one you want to use, and then crimp a spade terminal on the end of the hot wire. I would put a fuse rated for the load, in your case a 2 amp fuse. Inline fuse holders can be found at radioshack for cheap.. Take the other wire to a good ground nearby. Hide the wiring and put the plug in an easy to get to area.
The difference in voltage/amperage is because there's probably a small transformer inline. I'm assuming that it says to leave it unplugged until the vehicle is started in order to not drain your battery. However, a 2 amp load such as that would take awhile to drain an automotive battery. Also, everything on the interior fuse box is fused from the main fuse box, so you shouldn't blow anything.
As far as why there are three wires, I couldn't tell you. Do you have a manuel for any of this stuff? If not, Google it and you should be able to find the manufactuers website. Most of them have manuals available online. That'll tell you exactly what the three wires are for. I really would not wire anything until you found out that info, b/c if you reverse polarity you'll most likely fry your reciever.

Quick Reply: Want to hardwire GPS antenna..