Installation questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 08:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installation questions

I just purchased 2 dual 12" cold cathode kits that I want to install under the driver/passenger dash of my 01 f150. I looked it over today and cannot tell which wires I could splice into. I've heard of using the power to the cigarette lighter, but how do I get to that wire? Do I have to remove the dash? I also noticed the wire for the glovebox lamp, would that be a good source? If so, what fuse do I use to cut the power to it? Is it possible to run my own wire from the fuse box under the steering wheel? Sorry for all the questions, I'm pretty lost, Thanks!

Old 06-07-2005, 10:31 PM
The cigarette lighter wires run from under the steering column to the port so if you're wanting to tap that wire just trace it from the port until there's enough space to splice into it. To access it you'll just need to remove the panel directly underneath the steerling column. 6 small hex bolts and 2 medium hex bolts and it's off. The fuse to use depends on the amp draw of the kit. Use the smallest possible without blowing the fuse. Yes, you can run the wire from the fuse box although I don't recommend it.

Pheww, that's a lot of questions! I'm tapped, ready for a nap. :o

Old 06-10-2005, 01:56 PM
haha I got them in, thanks for the help!

Old 06-10-2005, 09:55 PM
One more thing I forgot. On our trucks the cigarette lighter is a constant hot. Great if you want to smoke even after turning off the truck but tapping into that wire isn't so great if you only want the device on while driving. Go to The 12 Volt and look in the vehicle wiring database. It'll tell you year by year which color wire is for what. Great information from that site!

Old 06-13-2005, 09:19 PM
thanks thats a big help!

Quick Reply: Installation questions