Has anyone ever had this problem?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 05:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone ever had this problem?

My truck has almost 150k miles, it's got an electrical problem. The battery meter is at max and the electricity surges, i took it to the a ford dealership and they said it was misfiring in one of the cylinders, they had some ideas to fix it but wouldn't guarantee that it would be fixed after they did the work, so i opted not to have them Try to fix it. I'm the second owner and have put 50k on the truck in it's curent misfiring state. I've changed the plugs and wires twice. Does anyone know what causes a 99 V8 to misfire and electricity to surge? and how could i fix this? are these problems related?

Old 05-17-2005, 11:01 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd take it to an AutopepadvanceboysZone and get the charging system tested. Incorrect system voltages can cause a lot of weird stuff. It'd be someplace to start.

Old 05-17-2005, 11:17 PM
How do you tell that there are voltage spikes?

Old 05-17-2005, 11:32 PM
Hey, LeanNcut...

HOOK'EM!

No, I don't have anything to add to this thread, but I couldn't resist!

Old 05-17-2005, 11:43 PM
Originally Posted by Quintin
AutopepadvanceboysZone.

Old 05-18-2005, 12:09 AM
i know there are spikes cause all the lights flicker and my battery gauge bounces up and down and sometimes gets up to the MAX. thanks for the tips guys!

Old 05-18-2005, 12:11 AM
i forgot to mention that i've drained the battery to a low state, and the flickering goes away until i've driven awhile and the battery comes back to it's fully charged state.

Old 05-19-2005, 12:42 AM
Not an auto mechanic don't claim to be one

I work aviation and the problems described here sound suspiciously like the ones we have with small aircraft that have

1- Voltage regulator problems

or

2 problems the part of the alternator (could be separate... but on aircraft they are normally built in) that converts AC in to a pulsating DC curent which automotive systems run on.

Old 05-19-2005, 09:04 AM
Originally Posted by 99Longbed
i forgot to mention that i've drained the battery to a low state, and the flickering goes away until i've driven awhile and the battery comes back to it's fully charged state.
If the battery was drained quite a bit, and was NOT recharged with a battery charger vs. letting the alternator do the work, you probably cooked the alternator. They are not designed to do that. When the alternator goes to "full charge" for extended periods of time, it's life is drastically shortened.

Possibly a regulator going out, but more likely your brushes are close to the end of their life, resulting in the uneven state of charge, flickering lights and bouncing gauge needle.

As far as the misfiring goes, how long has it been since you replaced the oxygen sensor? And fuel filter? Or got the fuel injectors cleaned? Or Sea Foamed your motor?

SL

Old 05-19-2005, 04:48 PM
i've changed the fuel filter bout 25kmiles ago, but out of what you've mentioned that's the only one. Is the alternator expensive or hard to rebuild? What about that regulator? I'm not even close to a mechanic but i have basic skills, thanks Snappylips!!.

Old 05-19-2005, 04:51 PM
I know the alternator conducts electricity, but i was curious what was the path it goes through to get to the battery and is there something that keeps it from frying itself or over charging the battery? Can anyone explain?

Quick Reply: Has anyone ever had this problem?