Theft Light

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 02:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Theft Light

I have a 2001 F150 with a V6. It has sat in front of my house for nearly 2 years. (i know what a waste) anyways it ran fine when it was parked it has 55k miles auto transmission. I lost the keys and just let it sit. I was told i had to have it towed to get new keys.... due to PATS. Well i totalled out another ford i have the other day and figured i'd haul it to the dealership and get the keys made. I haul it there myself. (I disconnected the tie rods so i could turn the wheels to load the truck) I also lossened the shifter on the transmission so i could manually shift into neutral. I also replaced the battery and changed the oil. The truck was nearly empty when parked so i discconected the fuel filter to try to drain the gas. Anyways so I haul it to the dealership and to their suprsise after looking up the key cut codes they realize i dont have a chip in my keys its not PATS enabled i was kinda pissed cuz i went to the trouble of loading the truck up on a gooseneck trailer hauling it in to find out there was no need. Well I get home get gas (beforehand) and unload the truck reconnect the tie rods, tightened the shifter etc... When turning the key the I get the flashing theft light. (Not sure if non PATS trucks have a theft light) anyways so I dont hear the fuel pump engageing so i disconnect the line again and turn the key thinking that fuel will shoot out if the pump is engaging nothing..... I can crank the truck if i spray starting fluid into the air filter, but as soon as you stop spraying the engine dies as one would assume. I am thinking that the "theft light" is a part of PATS and that the dealership was wrong and the key I needed was PATS and i towed that truck for nothing any ideas? I have not checked fuses under the hood yet. Also... I removed the radio awahile back and stuck it back in not sure if that has anything to do w/ security probs. Let me know

By the way there is no alarm on this truck

Jason Kornegay

Old 04-05-2005, 06:25 PM
I had a 1999 and a 2002 both had PATS, which I understand all that is visible of the system was the large plastic headed key and the THEFT light in the instrument panel.

Old 04-05-2005, 06:35 PM
thanx for the reply i just got off the phone w/ the service dept i was thinking it would turn out having PATS and it did. So i gotta tow it back but there gonna program the keys for free oh well ill take what i can get.

Old 04-06-2005, 09:03 PM
Welcome ! I wouldn't take my truck to a stealership that didn't even know information commonly found in an Owner's manual.

Old 04-06-2005, 10:11 PM
Hopefuly the truck will run ok after you get the keys. If you have any more problems with it, just post and someone will help. make sure you get at least 3 kes so if you loose one you can get another and program it youself.
Oh welcome to F150online

Quick Reply: Theft Light