Frantic Blinker

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 01:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Frantic Blinker

My left blinker/turn signal is blinking rally fast on the front and mirror. I noticed that my left rear blinker is out. Is that the cause for this frantic pace on my left turn signal? My right signal works just fine, as do my caution blinkers (with the exception of the rear light that is out).

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

Old 01-25-2005, 04:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a similar problem with right blinker on rear light. I thought the bulb was blown, so I bought a new bulb. Wouldn't you just know it, when I removed the light housing it started working again. I figured I probably may have jiggled a wire or something, I don't know. It has not done it since. My first suggestion would be to try this. Just remove the light housing and check to see if there is a loose wire, or if the bulb is not seated in the connector good enough. You may actually have a burned bulb. Your owners guide should have instructions about removing the housing for bulb replacement. Other threads have suggested a ground fault on this problem.

Old 01-25-2005, 05:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The 'frantic' blinker action is specifically designed to let the driver know a light is not working. Fix the rear light and the blinkers will resume a normal cadence.

Old 01-25-2005, 10:40 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It sounds like a bad multi-function switch (turn signals, wipers, hazzards). It is a common problem. My switch was malfuntioning the same way, but I could get it to work properly if I just pushed a little on the switch but not far enough to get it to lock. I used it like that for two weeks, and then the problems went away. It's been fine for two years since then.

Old 01-25-2005, 11:43 PM
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
Speed of flash is determined by the current drawn by all the bulbs at the same time, through the flasher and is by design. This has been this way for a long long time in all the cars and trucks.
This is also why not just any flasher can be substituted for the original type.
Those who try to substute LED lamps nearly alway end up with a flash speed change because they don't take much current and look like there is no bulbs present in those sockets.
Also trying to add trailer lights to the main truck system will change flash speed for the same reasons.
Anyone that needs to know why it changes flash speed of the flasher, I can explain it further.

Last edited by Bluegrass; 01-25-2005 at 11:47 PM.
Old 01-26-2005, 08:10 AM
Just to say what has already been said: More than likely, your rear bulb gone bad is the culprit. Happend to me last summer. Blinker started going fast, pulled into a service station parking lot, checked my signal lights, the rear one was out. Went inside, bough 2 for $0.75 cents a piece, 5 minutes later I was back on the road with a normal speed blinker and a spare bulb.

dp

Old 01-26-2005, 12:00 PM
Thanks for all of the help!!! I knew I could get all of the info I needed without calling the service department!

Thanks again!

Old 01-26-2005, 12:59 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by OffRoadLouKy
Thanks for all of the help!!! I knew I could get all of the info I needed without calling the service department!

Thanks again!
And who wants to call Collins/Tri-County/Star/All-State/Downtown/Carriage/Town and Country/Byerly/O'Neal/etc... if you don't have to.

Hello to a fellow Louisvillian!

RP

Old 02-02-2005, 12:28 PM
I here ya there!!! I probably would have paid $75 if I would have taken it to one of them...HA!

It's good to hear from someone in the 'Ville!!!

Old 02-02-2005, 01:25 PM
replace the bulbs first.

You might as well replace all 4 corners at the same time (bulbs are cheap)

If it still happens its probably the multifunction switch, as Bent6 mentioned . F150s and Rangers are bad for these things needing replacement.

Old 06-05-2007, 01:26 PM
Before doing anything walk to the back of the truck and smack taillight with your hand. Mine started right up again.

Edit: The Fonzie approach worked for several weeks eventually had to swap out the bulb.

Last edited by jdhollister; 06-13-2007 at 09:28 AM.

Quick Reply: Frantic Blinker