How to turn off "Service Engine Soon" light

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2004, 12:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just heard back from Cavalier Ford here in Portsmouth, Va. The problem was some sort of sensor (I forget what it was called right now) but there was a service bullitin issued on it. The problem has been fixed and we can come pick up our Expedition at "NO CHARGE".

Merry Christmas from FORD AND
MELMAN

Old 12-21-2004, 12:47 PM
Every dealership has its pros and cons. Meaning, there are mental/physical road blocks everywhere. OURS is our service writing department.
USUALLY when a vehicle comes in, (at least to MY stall), and there is OTHER concerns that should be mentioned, (and this WAS a safety issue), it would have for sure been mentioned/written down and the service writer should have told you/asked you if you wanted further work/diagnosis done to see what was up.

Now, not knowing exactly where/what they did to your vehicle, I can't say whether or not they would have tripped over the same codes/same area. Granted, if they did a complete (look for codes), checking ALL the modules, the airbag codes would have/should have come up, BUT, if they just did the 4x4 module/gem, and didn't look any further, then not.
Again, every shop is different, but for that kind of stuff, WE/I for sure want to know that I didn't cause the concern, OR for sure if the problem pre existed.

My .002

Good luck.

Old 12-21-2004, 04:51 PM
melman
was it a po401 or a p1401 code, a bad DPFE. ford extended the warrany on these to 5 years.

Old 12-21-2004, 07:30 PM
It was the DPFE. Not sure what it is but it is fixed now.

MELMAN

Old 12-22-2004, 11:19 AM
I wish we had a good Ford dealership around here. I have a couple friends who work at the biggest dealership in my area so I get my truck in there pretty often to work on it (I do the work, I just get access to a bay, lift and what tools I dont have..) and whenever I do have a problem watching the entire shop come over to stare at it and scratch their heads is pretty funny. Once I was standing around talking to a friend and helping him put a rebuilt tranny into a Taurus and I heard the guy in the next bay say "What the hell is that? to which he was answered "I dunno" and a third voice "Get the hammer".

I love the guys at that place, great poeple, but I can say with complete honesty that if I ever had to have anything done to my truck I couldnt do myself I wouldnt take it there. I needed their help to pull codes as I didnt have a scanner or know how to use it so I enlisted their help. An hour and a half later I had like 9 codes. I thought my truck was on the verge of collapse or something, lol. Turns out they didnt perform the tests correctly. I got online and did some research and went out and pulled my own codes with a 5 inch length of wire, lol.

Anyway, I dont have anything overly constructive to add, I just wanted to say that so folks know to be wary. Just cause its a Ford dealership doesnt mean its safe, hehe. Some are great but ask around before ya choose where to send your vehicle.

Old 12-26-2004, 12:54 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You could always disconect the battery for a few minutes everytime the light comes on until you have the time to fix the problem.

Old 12-27-2004, 04:33 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
melman, glad to hear you got a resolution to the problem.
Nice when it's done right, isn't it?

Old 11-13-2014, 06:38 AM
[QUOTE=drag79stang;1507763]I believe we charge $30. for a basic 'read codes', (while you wait). That does NOT include any pinpoint testing, or further diagnostics.
WE also run oaisis, messages and find out if there are any pertinent messages dealing with that specific code at that same time.
And that is within a couple of minutes of you coming in the door.

(again, that's at OUR dealership).

I dont use a dealer unless I absolutely have to. My sister is a service manager at our local dealer and all they are trying to do is get sales because like salesman they get a bonus on what they sell. I will go by Auto Zone and have the code(s) read off and ask her what they are and what they mean. Also a local shop is not gonna charge you outrageous shop wages and sell you genuine parts at an incredible markup because they have to cover stocking costs or whatever they want to call it. The only work i will get done at a dealer is warranty work or a prepaid oil change.

Old 11-13-2014, 09:01 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
You joined the website just to resurrect a ten year dead thread with your anti-dealer rant?

Seriously, get a life.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:52 PM
Angry

Originally Posted by drag79stang
Not that I"m flaming autozone (or any place that reads codes for free), (well, maybe I am a bit), , but it'd behoove you to have it done at a ford/mercury dealership. THEY have the proper scan tool, and will have the PROPER hardware/knowhow, and will/should give you a better idea of what further needs looking at, and./or what follow thru (pinpoint tests), need to be done to find the fault/faulty part.
Again, could be a bad sensor, could be a wiring concern, could be something as simple as a pcm reflash, (WHICH, I'm pretty sure autozone (whomever), could NOT handle, OR would even have access to proper reflash hardware).
My .002

(I might be a bit bias being as I work @ a ford dealership tho).........
Most dealers, not just Ford, will charge you at least an hour labor($100+) to read the codes. Then they will want you to agree to service and won't even tell you the codes! The code readers you can buy are more than sufficient for most Joe Blows to find out what's wrong with their vehicles.

Old 04-02-2015, 02:19 PM
Originally Posted by projectSHO89
You joined the website just to resurrect a ten year dead thread with your anti-dealer rant?

Seriously, get a life.
I searched for an answer to my coolant problem, read through this thread. Found a funny instead!! I quickly joined....

Quick Reply: How to turn off "Service Engine Soon" light