Blowing fuses

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 09:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blowing fuses

I have a 2000 F-150, club cab, 5.4 v-8. The fuse (#13) keeps blowing. Turn signals, brake lites, cruse control and emergency flashers on this fuse. The fuse blows as soon as you push it in. Had it in shop, could find nothing wrong. They said it cleared itself. Worked great for 3-4 days and again same problem.

When the fuses are blowing, it reads a direct short to ground on the load side of the fuse.

Have traced all wiring as far as I can, found nothing.

When the fuse stays good, the cruse in not operating. Lite blinks on dash momentairly, but nothing happens.

Would like to find good wiring diagrams if possible.

Thanks!!

Old 09-24-2004, 09:30 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
For good wiring diagrams, it will be necessary for you to obtain the EVTM or the Service CD.

Intermittent shorts are incredibly frustrating to locate and repair. Good luck with it.

According to the EVTM, F13 in the Central Junction Box (under dash fuseblock) distributes to the flasher relay, the Brake pedal position switch, and the brake deactivaor switch.

On the SHO, the deactivator switch, located on the underside of the master cylinder (don't know where it is on the '00 F150), has a tendency to leak brake fluid into the switch connectors, causing a short to ground and blown fuses. This might be a good place to start.

If that doesn't pan out, check the switch located on the brake pedal for andy damaged or loose wiring.

Steve

Last edited by projectSHO89; 09-24-2004 at 09:38 PM.
Old 09-25-2004, 02:41 AM
Read my mind. The switch on the master is known to give you this problem. Check it at the master cyl. Look for fluid in the connector. Very common prob.

Old 09-25-2004, 07:57 PM
Thanks for the info. AS soon as Jeanne passes by, I will check these things. I appreciate the help!

Quick Reply: Blowing fuses