Is it really the clockspring?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2004, 01:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it really the clockspring?

Before I tear apart the steering column to replace the clockspring is there any way to check to make sure that is the problem? I have a '97 F-150 4.2 the airbag is flashing code 32, the horn and cruise control don't work, sounds like from what I have read it is the clockspring, would just like to make sure.
Thanks,
Gerry

Old 08-08-2004, 03:59 PM
while I'm at it

Does anyone have step by step directions for replacing the clockspring on my '97 F-150? I saw some directions, but they say to remove the 4 screws at the rear of the steering wheel to remove the airbag, I checked and can't find any screws. These instructions may not pertain to my vehicle.
Thanks,
Gerry

Old 08-10-2004, 02:44 AM
sounds alot like a bad clock spring. or unplugged clock spring. i think there are 2, 8mm bolts under to plastic plugs on the back of the steering wheel. then you can remove air bag then unplug connectors at top of clock spring. then remove steering wheel bolt and pull steering wheel off. i would use a puller for this i have seen people bend the wheel rim by pulling on it to remove it. then you remove the steering column shrould and there is another connector under there. clock spring comes out and then put new one in. you might want to find a manual for i might have left something out im just trying to give you some ideas of whats involved.

Quick Reply: Is it really the clockspring?