Steering wheel controls

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 12:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering wheel controls

I have a very strange issue. I recently had a new Alpine cd player installed. None of the wires were cut and harnesses were used. I knew I was going to loose the radio controls but wasnt prepared to loose the fan and temp controls, which I did. Now comes the stange part. They work...but only with the lights on! When I turn the lights off they will continue to work fo a second or two. Its kinda like They work until the last bit of power is gone from that circuit. I have taken it back to the installer and was told nothing was wrong. I have called the corporate offices and got no help. Any Ideas? Its a 1998 Navigator Thanks!!!

Old 07-15-2004, 02:52 AM
GM high end cars used to be sensitive to aftermarket audio systems. Something about the radio circuit used to sense the amount of resistance in the radio circuit. When you replaced the radio with a diffrent make the resistance was diffrent and strange things would happen. In some corvettes the whole car would shut down and not start because of it. I worked in a shop a couple of doors down from a circuit city install center and the guys used to come down to use or Alldata subscription alot to tract circuits and such. They some how would place a resistor in the circuit to compensate for the change in resistance. I am pretty sure they learned this the hard way as I recall how "they loved it" when a job like that would come in. Obviously Ford is not Chevy but the way you described your problem it just struck me to mention it.

Old 07-15-2004, 08:34 AM
Thanks for the info. I worked for CC for a while and remember the issues you spoke about! Im gonna take it to a higher end shop than cc and let the take a look. Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Steering wheel controls