Starter problem ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 10:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starter problem ?

OK, When I try and start my truck sometimes the starter makes a screeching sound. I has gotten to be doing this about once a week. i think I need a new starter but I read a post somewhere talking about taking the starter apart and all kinds of other stuff for this problem. Can I just replace the starter and be done with it? I would appreciate any advice.

Brett

2000 F-150 4x4

Old 05-14-2004, 01:54 PM
Does it sound like your starter teeth grinding on your flywheel teeth? If it does, the problem can be the starter teeth, the flywheel teeth, or a combination of the two. The starter has very few teeth compared to the flywheel. If you're lucky, you can remove the starter, see the teeth ground down a bit, replace the starter, and go for many moons. If you have a flywheel problem, you're in for a big job. Start with the starter evaluation.

Old 05-14-2004, 08:12 PM
does it screech while its starting or after.
if after then when the engine starts the flywheel is moving faster than the starter gear and the bendix does not pull it away quick enough. the screech is from that little gear on the starter it could be worn or sticking due to debris or rust or the mount bolts are loose. you could try and rebuild the starter solonoid or if you have high milage just replace the starter
this is assuming it is the starter making the noise.
if its agrinding when trying to start then it sound like the ring gear has some bad teeth. you can remove the starter and test it with jumper cables and inspect the flywheel

Quick Reply: Starter problem ?