Remote Start

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 05:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remote Start

I have a 1997 F250 extended cab 4x4 that I bought used 10 months ago. The truck has keyless entry and what I believe is an aftermarket remote start. My problem begins here with the remote start. I was provided with 2 remotes, one for the keyless entry that was originally added as an option on the truck and the other which is (I am assuming) aftermarket for the remote start. I have no problems when I use the keyless entry remote that was originally provided with the truck. The problem is with the other remote. When I use the remote start button on this one, it starts with no problem. However, when I press the unlock button on this remote and open the door (even though the door unlocks) it sets off the alarm on the truck. The only thing that I can tell you is that above the mirror in the truck is an antenna, which I assume is the receiver for the remote start and it has the brand name "OMEGA" on it. I don't even use this feature as it is so nerve racking to have the alarm going off all the time. Any ideas on this one?

Old 04-13-2004, 11:12 PM
Remote start isn't my gig, but I know enough about them to suspect someone didn't wire that thing up properly.
You may want to find a dealer for that type of remote start system and get them to check it out for you. Sorry I can't be of any help on this one.

Good Luck
FordMasterTech

Old 04-15-2004, 09:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmmm

Maybe I wont install keyless ignition. I posted a thread here somewhere, asking questions about em. Not to many people have any info on the topic, and like to stear away from them as if they were the plague.

Old 04-15-2004, 09:46 AM
I've done tons of em, but unfortunately not with Omega, I can get you truck wire colors and that sort of thing but I doubt it will do much good because you would have to see if the omega system has a factory disarm output on it - which I don't know. Some units stamp the wiring colors w/polarity on the bottom of the plastic case.

Have you also tried not arming your factory alarm? This is just a shot - I could be wrong on this, but on my 98 it only sets off the factory alarm IF the door is open when you lock them. Try closing the doors then locking and see if the alarm still goes off!!!

Old 04-15-2004, 09:52 AM
frostby,

you say you have installed a bunch, right?

Are they difficult to install?

Old 04-15-2004, 02:42 PM
Yeah, I've done lots - especially when it starts snowing - people get lazy... I shouldn't tease, I put one in too.

My first 1/2 dozen were tough to do, but the pickups make it pretty easy. There's lots of room to work. One thing to look into is wether or not your truck has a anti- theft or security system. If it doesn't it really isn't too terrible if you are patient. I would say with practise it would run close to 4 hours for a vehicle. Install them under the dash above the pedals, most wires you need are there. I would highly recommend soldering your high current wires, and stay away from T-taps (don't trust em) If you have more Q's don't be afraid to ask...I'll keep an eye on this post

Old 04-15-2004, 02:47 PM
Thanks, I appreciate it.

I dont know exactly when I will be getting it and installing it, but hopefully soon (before it gets too hot).

You mentioned patience, James = NONE. I think I might be better off having it done. I can install a radio and all, but know absolutely nothing about this kind of thing.

Quick Reply: Remote Start