Parking Brake - Dash Light

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 11:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Parking Brake - Dash Light

Hi,

97 F150, XLT. The parking brake works, but the light doesn't come on in the dash when the brake is engaged. I searched the site here, and learned it could be the switch that is jammed. Here's my question - is the parking brake light in any way connected to the seat belt light/alarm wiring?

I ask because I had my driver's seat worked on recently, and the guy unplugged the wire for the seat while working on it. Then, after he put it all back together - wha la, the brake light was on! It was the first time I ever saw it lit - so I guess the bulb works.
But, since then, it doesn't work anymore - it only worked for a day or so.

Is this just coincidence or is the wiring somehow connected? Just thought I'd ask so that I start looking in the right place.

Thanks for your help.

Old 02-04-2004, 01:52 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I do not see where the seat belt is tied to the parking brake.

I see the brake indicator lamp is in the instrument cluster, and takes it cue to illuminate when the park brake switch is closed.

This is circuit 162, which is a light green with a red stripe wire.

This is switching ground to the lower side of the lamp, which has a connection to the mircoprocessor in the instrument cluster.

The connector on the instrument cluster ( in the 2001 EVTM ) shows the parking brake as pin 17 in connector C236. This is a white connector that is 2 rows of 10 pins each ( 20 pin connector ).

The parking brake circuit 162 also is broken at connector C247, which is a gray 16 pin connector with 4 rows of 4, behind the driver's side kick panel ( down by the parking brake ).

Easy way ( out of the 2 that is, not easy in itself ) is to dig out the connector C247 down by the parking brake, and apply ground to the light green with a red stripe wire.

The Circuit 162 in the 4 x 4 connector should be on the left hand side, second row from the top ( the side with the connector tab on it ) for the female side, or for the male side of the connector on the right hand side, second row from the top ( again the top I am calling the side with the tab on it ).

First place I can think of to start looking for a problem child with the circuit. Of course, you need the key in the on position when you do this tet with grounding the pin, or the instrument cluster is alive.

This info might not be 100% accurate, as I am working from a 2001 EVTM.

Good luck, let us know what happens

Old 02-04-2004, 02:22 PM
Thanks!

Thanks for the info! I will tackle this project this weekend and let you know how it goes!

Old 02-07-2004, 04:15 PM
Problem Solved

Hi,

I wanted to thank you for the replies to my post. I took a look at the parking brake this morning, and it turns out the switch was sticking closed so the light wouldn't come on. I cleaned it up a little, added a healthy shot of WD-40, and it seems to be working fine. So, at least I know the bulb and wiring is OK - if it goes out again, I'll know it is the switch and it might need more than just a little lube. But for now, problem solved.

Thanks for all the info - this site is great! I'm a semi-handi person who hates to pay people $$ to fix problems, so I like to at least try to get it done on my own. With all the info provided here, it makes it alot easier for me!! Thanks!

Quick Reply: Parking Brake - Dash Light