isolator install ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 10:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
isolator install ?

i want to run two batteries and i need to know how i go about hooking up the two batteries i know if u connect 2 batteries together u will ruin your alternator and possibly destroy the batteries due to discharge so i bought a 200 amp isolator but im not sure how to connect the alternator to the isolator

my question is do i hook it up before the starter solenoid or after?

Old 01-26-2004, 10:52 PM
I dont have iso.specs. for your truck, apparently you don't either.

Seems to me you will be connecting the alt. to the isolator and from iso. to the aux. battery.

If your alt. has 2 wire harnesses/plug assemblies, then you'll be tapping into both of those. Running a new #8 wire from each harness to the iso.

Example: A two (2) wire harness/plug assembly connecting to the top/side of alt. w/new # 8 goes to B1.

A three (3) wire harness/plug ***. connecting to the bottom of the alt. 2 large/one small wire. 2 largest maybe black/orange, if so those go w/new #8 to the "A". B2, use # 8 to aux. batt.

Ill stop here because maybe n/a? Meantime, try and find the wiring specs. for your iso. Or maybe someone will update. Also you'll need circuit breaker inline between aux. batt. and what ever it powers. JMO!

Not alot of help, but may give you a better understanding of whats involved.

Good luck....OT

Old 01-29-2004, 11:46 PM
from what i understand all i need to do is hook up one wire from the alternator to the isolator and then the battery cables run from one terminal on the isolator to each negative side of the battery to charge them

Quick Reply: isolator install ?