Power sources when in reverse

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2003, 04:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power sources when in reverse

I'm adding a backup camera and monitor in my '03 KR SCrew. I've located a *very* short accessory plug which has enabled me to use the power plug next to the cigar lighter and keep the cover closed. The monitor mounts just below the accessory plug and it was easy to route the wires behind the panel. So far, so good. This power source is always hot, so I need to use the power switch on the monitor to avoid battery drain. No big deal.

Now I need to choose a power source for the camera. It can be in the rear or up front. I have to run the camera output to the front and so running the power feed to the front does not increase my work load.

Has anyone tapped into relay #203 (trailer tow backup relay) as a 'switched' power source? If so, how? Are there other sources under the hood (or in the fuse box inside the cab) that might provide this power?

If I need to get my power from the rear, which wire on the trailer connector is switched to be on only in reverse?

Thanks in advance...

Old 09-29-2003, 02:49 PM
Petersde,

September 1st, a lot of new laws were passed here in TX (I'm in Friendswood as well) and I think one of them might be in regards to a monitor viewable by the driver. Have you looked into this?

Is it restriced to only monitors connected to entertainment devices (DVD, video,...) or will this pass with the state? I know some buses and RV's have them for your purpose (backing up).

Just curious.

As far as power from the trailer lighting kit, I think I have found some threads regarding this for fog/backup lights. If i come across it again, I'll let you know. I want to say that Scully had some replies on this.

Houstonwide

Old 09-29-2003, 03:04 PM
The attached link talks about all kinds of backup light solutions, including proper use of diodes.

Backup

Old 09-29-2003, 05:38 PM
Houstonwide...

I was told that a B/W monitor was OK but a color monitor was a no-no. I guess the assumption is that folks will use a color monitor for entertainment. I have mounted the monitor directly below the radio, etc. just underneath the ash tray and cup holder. It folds up for use and then down and out of the way when I'm not backing up.

I'm only going to rig it to the camera and so I'll guess I'll take my chances. There really is no reasonable way that it could be used for 'entertainment'.

Old 09-29-2003, 05:46 PM
flafonman...

Thanks for the reply. You obviously have been stringing lots of wire.
Perhaps you can tell me if Fuses 7, 9 and 17 can be used. The owner's manual says they are not used, but not that they *can't* be used. My current approach uses the power distribution point next to the cigar lighter. The only problem there is that it's always hot. If one of the above fuses are switched with the ignition I'd be home free.

Thanks...

Quick Reply: Power sources when in reverse