brake lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2003, 02:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brake lights

My break lights will not come on, but the third light does. I read in another post that the multifunction switch may be bad. After trying the breaks while shaking the turn signal they did come on. So the multifunction switch must be bad. My question is where is it exactly and how is it replaced? Thanks for any help.

Old 08-09-2003, 10:00 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Mike,

The multifunction switch is what is commly called the turn signal stalk. If you take apart the dash parts above and below the steering column and then the steering column covers you can see how it is mounted for removal.

You can either change it out, or try cleaning the possiable over lube job in it, di-electric grease it, and put it back in. Some have done this with good luck.

Try these places for a new mutlifunction switch or your local parts shop :
www.fordpartsonline.com
www.oemfordparts.com
www.fordpartsnetwork.com

If you take it apart, it can be a PITA to put it back together, watching where the little springs go. It also may not be the bad lube job causing this, it might be worn out contacts ?? Cleanign won't help that. You call which way to try first, if I recall other posts, the multifunction switch is not cheap.

Good luck, let us know if you have any other questions.

Old 08-09-2003, 06:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks alot for the help. I will see if I can repair the original. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again. Mike

Quick Reply: brake lights