Need Help Quickly

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2003, 05:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Help Quickly

I have a 97 F150 w/ tow package. I am renting a trailer which I need to be on the road tomorrow.
flat 4 pin
When I left the U-Haul place all my light worked on the trailer. Now only the running lights (headlights) work. The directionals and brake lights don't work on the trailer but on the truck. Where would the relays be? Is it by the Junction box in the left hand engine compartment? There are two there one has relays and fuse the smaller is piggy backed off the larger one and have a total of 5 relays in it. 4: F57B-14B192-AA (6156A31-B) and 1: FOAB 14B192-AA

Last edited by Sinster; 07-01-2003 at 06:08 PM.
Old 07-01-2003, 11:05 PM
WLF
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sinster,
The first thing to check is the fuses. If you are satisfied the fuses are good then I'll try to help.
I had trouble with mine and the relay is in the small box under the hood. Problem is I have changed two relays in the box and can not remember which is the tow relay. The ones I replaced are the small one closest to the engine and closest to the front of the truck (next to the large relay box). I think that is the one. The other one I replaced is the larger of the six that sits mid ship. The best way to know is to go to the dealer and purchase a new tow relay. If it is the small one then replace the one I discribed above. If not then it has to be the large relay. The relay was not expensive.
Good luck.
Let us know how it goes.

Old 07-02-2003, 01:11 AM
I check every fuse. I dont have the Manual so I went through them all.

I tested the Relays for resistance across the coil. They seem to be working fine. I did change out the large Relay. The 4 smaller relays. I swapped for the running lights each of them illuminated the running lights. Either they are all bad or they are working fine. I just need a good shcematic or the layout of the fuse boxes.

Old 07-03-2003, 08:04 AM
fuses

for the trailer tow package there are seperate fuses for all of the trailer lights. all under the hood. loc5 20a back up and park, loc 19 10a rh stop turn, loc 20 10a lh stop turn, relay loc 201 park lamp relay, see if those help there are more for trailers with brakes but not needed for a 4 pin. most trucks with the tow package have the installed but not all. see if that helpes.

Quick Reply: Need Help Quickly