Gauges - Analog Vs. Digital

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2003, 11:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gauges - Analog Vs. Digital

I am wondering if anyone has compared these two gauges before for accuracy. I am looking at the Phantom Series (Mechanical) from Autometer and the Nordskog Digital gauges. I know that some people don't like the electrical gauges vs the mechanical gauges but what about the digitial gauges. I want to monitor the Engine / Transmission tempatures along with Oil Pressure. Technically, I don't need to see the needle sweep across the gauge, I just need the numbers. The gauges are going to be out of the way near the bottom of the dash so the brighter the display the better, this is where I think the digital gauges would work better. I might put a triple gauge pod in the A-pillar but I don't know. Don't want anyone to think that I have a monster motor when all I am doing is properly monitoring my engine's life lines. Thoughts, comments and opinions are greatly appreciated on this topic.

Have Fun & Keep on Truckin'
Dean

Old 06-24-2003, 03:03 AM
I put Autometer Phantom full sweep mechanical oil pressure and water temp along with a red Cyberdyne digital (electrical) trans temp gauge on a Autometer pillar.

I like the Autometer Phantoms but not the Cyberdyne all that much. The display is too bright even during the day and when I dim the dash lights the gauge flickers. It does seem to attract a lot of attention at stoplights.

Very possibly the trans temp will get changed to an Autometer.

This prolly didn't help you much.

$.02

Last edited by ChiDiver; 06-24-2003 at 03:05 AM.
Old 06-24-2003, 07:18 PM
Cool

ChiDiver, thanks for the reply. I was hoping more on the Nordskog gauges but whatever I can get is appreciated.

Have Fun & Keep on Truckin'
Dean

Old 07-10-2003, 02:19 PM
Here is a dumb question. Where did you tap in the engine to get your mechanical oil pressure?

Old 07-10-2003, 06:26 PM
What I did was to put a pipe tee(and short coupling) in the oil sender hole next to the oil filter. A #3(3/16") stainless hose went in one side and the factory sender in the other.

I also needed a hose adapter to go from pipe to flare(around $1) and of course the SS hose. For hose I bought 10 ft, but 8.5 to 9 ft would have been enough. My oil pressure gauge is on the bottom of a 3 gauge pillar.

Try http://www.paragonperformance.com for the hose.

As far as oil pressure goes, my 01 5.4 Scab has about 82# on a cold start @ ~60*f idling in park. In gear with a hot engine it says ~30#.

Old 07-10-2003, 06:33 PM
Thanks for the good information and the link!!!

Quick Reply: Gauges - Analog Vs. Digital