head Unit Wiring Diagram???

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2003, 02:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question head Unit Wiring Diagram???

Does any body know how to wire your head unit so that the head unit stays on when the key is taken out of the ignition while the doors are still closed and the head unit turns off when dorrs open?

Robert

Old 06-19-2003, 04:01 PM
I'm not really sure why you would want to do this. Why not just leave the key in on ACC and shut it off when you get out. Or wire your head unit's switched 12volt wire to a constant 12volt wire, then power it off manually when you get out. Of course this way you might leave it on overnight by accident. Try searching at 12volt.com. Good Luck.

Old 06-19-2003, 04:36 PM
The best way is to change the power wire from a switched wire to a relay controlled wire with the relay switched by an ACC Delay wire in the truck.

Old 06-19-2003, 05:55 PM
Expand PLeas

could you perhaps expand on that thought of switching the wires. I do not have any electrical tools, but if i know which wires to play with, i can have my friend do it for me. The color and location of this ACC controled relay wire would be very helpfull.

Old 06-19-2003, 06:36 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
sk8inrj1,

This is what I pull from the 2001 EVTM, I don't know what year you have ( sigs turned off ) so it may or may not apply to you.

The power to the radio is pn #10 on connector C225 ( raido plug ) and it is circuit 1002, black w/ a pink stripe wire.

This circuit is the one from the central junction box, fuse # 8, 5 A, and is hot in the run or acc position of the key.

Using a relay, run a fused power connection from the battery to the relay on one side of the N/O contacts. on a normal 4 pin relay this is pin # 30.

The other side fo the N/O contacts iyou connect to the radio as the pin #10, black w/ pink stripe ( the power to the radio ).

That takes care of powering the radio when the coil is activated.
Now to power the coil :
should be interchangable unless you have a diode over the coil, but pin #86 would be the ground side of the coil, find a good ground to use ( watch what you think might be ground in the cab, it may not be ).
The pin # 85 is the power from the output of the GEM module, that keep the power windows alive until the door is open, or the delay time is off ( 10 or 15 min I think ).
This is circuit # 400 light blue w/ black stripe.( same as the power window switch power lead ).
You should be able to find this behind the parking brake in Connector C248.
When looking at this connector, it is on the side next to the clip for holding the connector halves together. It should be a black 8 pin connector ( 2 rows of 4 ) and is behind the parking brake mount ( I think RP had to take out the parking brake to get to it for his power rear slider ).

This would provide a fused battery lead to the radio when the circuit 400 from the GEM is on ( same amount of time the power windows work ) or until the door is opened, then the power is removed from the relay, the coil allows the N/O contacts to open again, and the power to the radio goes off.

Hope this works for your year truck, let me know what year, so I can try togive you an idea if it will or not ( the 99+ seem to be 1:1 the same, soem differences in the 97/98 years for wiring ).

Good luck, let us know if / how it works

Steve

Quick Reply: head Unit Wiring Diagram???