Brake Lights not working

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2003, 11:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Brake Lights not working

Initial problem: I cannot get my 97 Expedtion out of 'park' when I press the brakes. The manual refers to this problem stating that I can follow some steps in order to get it into gear and that the REAL problem may be that my brake lights aren't functioning. TRUE ! It also states that it is more than likely the fuse. Checked all fuses to no avail; both under hood and under dash.

*back lights turn on with headlights
*brake lights don't function when brakes pressed
*have to use manual trick to get into gear

PLEASE HELP

Oh yeah .... "Multi-Function (indicator) switch" may be problem according to earlier posting. where is this switch ????

Beholding

Last edited by A Martinez; 06-01-2003 at 08:21 PM.
Old 06-02-2003, 04:34 AM
First off, the Multi-function switch is the combined indicator/wipers switch on the lh side of the steering wheel.
The brakelight circuit does indeed go through that switch.

To try and help you though, the brakelight circuit is pretty simple.
It takes a 12v feed (from the fuse), that then goes to the brakelight switch which is mounted above the brake pedal.
The circuit then "T's" off with one branch going to the 3rd brakelight and the other going to the multi function switch.
That circuit then goes directly to the rear brake lights.

Still with me? Things you can check.
Does the 3rd brakelight still work? If so, the fuse and brakelight switch are ok.
The problem is then probably in the multi-function switch.
These have been known to suffer from internal corrosion commonly known on the board as Green Goo which will need to be cleaned out.
If this is the case, try a search on the electrical board for that topic.

If none of the brakelights work at all, you either don't have 12v getting to the brakelight switch or the switch itself is faulty.
To check this, use a circuit tester or voltmeter and check for 12v at the switch.
To test the switch itself, it must make a circuit when the brake is depressed. This can be checked with an ohmeter or just join the 2 wires together at the switch to bypass it for testing purposes.

This should be a start for you. Check it out as described above and let us know what you find.

Old 06-02-2003, 05:13 AM
Thank you for the detailed information. The third breaklight does not function either. I will follow your steps regarding checking the other possible problems.

Thanks again

Old 06-03-2003, 03:35 AM
That might make for an inexpensive anti-theft device. Just put a switch between the fuse and the brake switch. No brake lights, no getting the truck out of park, no stealing my pride and joy.

Of course, the cops kind of frown on switches that turn your brake lights off and an accidental flip of the switch while driving could cause you to be rear-ended at the next speed bump. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Old 07-01-2003, 06:29 PM
A Martinez, Does cruise kick off with your brake pedal??? If it doesn't, chancews are, the problem is with your brake light switch attached to the pivot point where the brake pedal forces an input rod thru your firewall. I had the same problem. Be careful though. I changed the switch...it turned out to be a broken wire that connects to that switch...let me know.

Old 07-02-2003, 06:32 AM
Thumbs up

Appreciate the response. Found out that it was, in fact, the switch. It has been repaired and all is well again.

Thanks Again

Old 07-02-2003, 06:41 AM
cool

Quick Reply: Brake Lights not working